Need help now?

Ab Fab Friday's - What were you like as a teen? 13th October @ 8pm (EDST)

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Ab Fab Friday's - What were you like as a teen? 13th October @ 8pm (EDST)

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Ab Fab Friday's - What were you like as a teen? 13th October @ 8pm (EDST)

So what were you like as a teen? Are there things your daughter goes through that remind you of you at that age?

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Thinking back to my teen years, seems like a lifetime ago!

I had a pretty cruisy, easy-going teen life.  Didn't get up to any trouble, but still had lots of fun.  My daughter has had a very different teen life, especially in the last few years.  She has experienced a lot more than I ever did.

Super star contributor
taokat

I knew everything as a teen and thought I could handle the world! When my daughter tries to assert her 'adult' with me, it makes me think of how cool I thought I was, but how I still deep down, secretly, needed boundaries. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Your parents were lucky @Zoesplace, haha. Do you think that's made it more difficult to relate to your daughter's struggles, or not at all?

Even though I was a wild teen, I still find I've learned more from my raising my daughter!

Star contributor
Zoesplace

My daughter and my own teen years are similar in the fact, that we both have loving and caring parents, but I feel I have a stronger and more open relationship with my daughter.  Some of the things my daughter shares with me, would make my mum probably faint!   Apart from school, I don't remember having much stress in my life as a teen.  My daughter has gone through a lot in the past year, I couldn't imagine having her life when I was a teen.

Super star contributor
taokat

Maybe it's worse having been a teen who had a colourful life, as now I know what trouble she could get into?!! So I have those fears, despite her being nothing like me at that age! Crazy!

Star contributor
Zoesplace

I was an easy teen to raise (very different to my daughter). I have no experience at all with the problems and issues she has faced, but despite this we are really close.      

Super star contributor
taokat

I love that what's been a bit different is the open relationship @Zoesplace. Yes, that's one thing my daughter and I share too, and I so relate to the thought of some of the conversations we have would have made our mums faint! Haha. 

It's a thing I cherish as I know there's nothing my girl would be too embarrassed or whatever to talk with me about. 

Star contributor
Zoesplace

@taokat  My parents had their hands full with my brother and sister, so I didn't want to make their life any worse!   What sort of things did you get up to as a teen?

Super star contributor
taokat

Ahh, @Zoesplace so you also have the perspective of being a settled sibling who's seen the others going through issues. Did you feel any pressure (from yourself or your parents) to be the easy one always? Does that make sense? 

My mum wasn't very open minded and I wasn't popular because I was different. I had punk hair cuts and liked clothing that was different. I smoked and drank and went out a lot, lied about where I was. I was kicked out/left home at 17. I was quite lost really. 

I think it helps me try to give my girl what she needs from me emotionally. I know how important it is.