Need help now?

Docos Worth Watching!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Docos Worth Watching!

Recommend a doco you've seen or heard of that covers a topic relevant to parenting teenagers.

Couple of guidelines:

• I'm giving pre-permission to link to a trailer or wiki site so people can explore it further BUT please check to make sure you're not linking to anything that identifies you. e.g. Facebook page. We'll have to delete any links that reveal any identifying info.
  • Please try and steer clear of docos that are NSFW (not suitable for work). If it's R rated but just too good to miss, please let us know what the issues are, e.g. graphic violence, and don't include a link. This is a safe space so we avoid posting triggering content whenever we can.
  • Please state if you have NOT yet seen it. That way if it turns out to be offensive in any way, we'll know it was unintentional.

Please ask if this is confusing.

Please start another topic if you want to do the same for books / tv shows / anything!

Active scribe
mum2twins

Re: Docos Worth Watching!

Message contains a hyperlink

Audrie and Daisy - a Netflix original. I watched this and it was just a really confronting reminder that we've still got a long way to go in educating parents and children about sexual violence. It's an eye opener about the power of social media. Rated M. I'd definitely recommend watching it first before watching it with your teens and I'd say it's best for Year 9 upwards but I also believe that as soon as sex, drugs and drink are a part of your child's world, and sadly at my daughters' school this was Year 7, you should be aware of how the kids are operating and you should be trying to have open and frank conversations with your kids, however uncomfortable.

Hope this link works (might have to cut and paste into your browser and you'd need to be a netflix subscriber): https://www.netflix.com/search?q=Audrey%20and%20&jbv=80097321&jbp=0&jbr=0

From Wikipedia: Audrie & Daisy is an American documentary film about three cases of rape. The documentary includes the stories of two American high school students, Audrie Pott and Daisy Coleman. At the time of the sexual assaults, Pott was 15 and Coleman was 14 years old. After the assaults, the victims and their families were subjected to abuse and cyberbullying. The documentary follows their outcomes through time, social media, court documents and police investigations.

The film directors Bonni Cohen and Jon Shenk, a husband-and-wife team who have teenage children of their own, had been fascinated by the role of social media in teenage lives and were attracted to the subject of the Daisy Coleman story as "a modern-day 'Scarlet Letter' story".[1]

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thanks for that @mum2twins It sounds like a doco worth watching.

Mine is an Aussie doco called Rampant. Which you can watch here on Youtube.

Warning: It contains discussions about homosexuality, prostitution and drug taking. Although I don't recall any graphic content. But if you want to know how Aus developed it's Harm Minimisation approach and why we have some of the best figures when it comes to AIDs among those demographics, compared to the US who has far many per capita because they follow a zero tolerance approach.

It's probably not for everyone, but worth watching if things like social policy interest you.

Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

I am struggling to find the one I am thinking of.  It was a documentary on SBS on demand about a group of LGBTI teenagers in Victoria arranging their same sex formal.  Will post back once I find the name.  Was really good though - mostly uplifting and affirming although distressing in parts, eg, you find out at the end that one of the featured young people took his own life after the end of filming.   

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a video

Ta-dum @hashtagmum

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

And I will be watching this on my train ride home. Thank you!

Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

Actually that is not the one I was thinking of.  I have finally found out what it was called - Love in Full Colour.  Here is an article that was in the Sydney Morning Herald about it: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/documentary-on-samesex-formal-celebrates-diversity--and-may... Unfortunately no longer available on SBS but there is a trailer and some snippets here:  http://www.loveinfullcolour.net/

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Damn, and I thought I was so clever!

Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

That looks good too though! 

Super star contributor
taokat

I've had a bit of a giggle, thanks @Ngaio-RO.

I'm going to have a movie day/night and waych these docos. Thanks for posting laydeez!

'Boy Interrupted' is doco about a 15 year old boy who had bipolar and depression. I haven't seen it yet but it was recommended to me. His parents filmed it to show his life.

I've got a few to watch!