Need help now?

Teenage daughter with BPD

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
sunmoonstars

Re: Teenage daughter with BPD

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response, and email. I've heard from my daughter and she is fine. I also very much appreciate the links - with all the services we've contacted; doctor, CAMHS, agencies, centrelink social worker etc, no one has ever mentioned this service and so I'd never come across it! I've already phoned them and registered and will hear from someone. I can't tell you how much relief I feel to have some support. I know it won't fix everything, but it means a lot.

I'm going to give my daughter some space, she wants to take a break from home and we've agreed to stay in touch about where she's staying and what she needs. I'll use this time to think about what I need and what is needed if/when she comes home and hopefully get some rest and a fresher perspective.

Mod
Marimo-RO

Hi @sunmoonstars,

Thank you for providing us with an update on what has happened. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is safe and that you're keeping in touch with each other. I'm also really glad to see that you have accessed support for yourself and have found relief from doing so. 

I hope you are able to get some rest and time to think about your next steps.

You're also always welcome here on the forums.

Take care!

Scribe
Quinn33

Hi

My 16 year has been diagnosed with bpd today. Feel strange and worried and would love to connect with other parents going through the same.
Mod
Astra-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Welcome to the community @Quinn33 and thank you for reaching out for support. Receiving a new diagnosis can be a really disorienting time for both an individual and their loved ones. It makes sense that you would be feeling strange and worried following the diagnosis of your 16yo with BPD. Is there anything in particular that you are worried about that we can support you with?

I'm glad you're trying to connect with other parents and carers going through similar situations as this isn't something you have to go through alone. We have an article here about BPD which you might find helpful and you might also like to check out the Carer Gateway. SANE also has a page on supporting a loved one with BPD.

We have a lot of other parents and carers in the community looking after young people with BPD who I hope you can connect with

Active scribe
sunmoonstars

Hi Quinn33, thanks for replying on my post, sorry its taken a while to respond. I'm happy to chat if you need to talk about how you're feeling and things are going since your daughters diagnosis.