Need help now?

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: 31st May - ReachOut Parents Coaching! All your questions answered.

Hi @TBS-Coach1, thank you so much for being here for us.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Locked @taokat !!

shocked surprised owl hoot shocked gif GIF

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi folks!

We're the ReachOut Parents coaching team from the Benevolent Society - we're often referred to as TBS.  You can find out more about us at http://benevolent.org.au/ 

We've combined strengths to create online coaching for parents; using ReachOut.Com’s expertise in online mental health services, and TBS’s over 200 years experience supporting families to live their best lives!

We're here tonight to answer any questions you have :-) It's nice to be here @taokat

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains an image

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @TBS-Coach1, my gif was for @Ngaio-RO, not laughing at the welcome at all!

I have dealt with TBS before and I know how amazing you guys are - changed our lives!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

I think the gif battle just began @taokat

Thanks so much for being here @TBS-Coach1  We are so grateful for you guys giving your time tonight. Thank you.

Can I kick off? The most common question we get is:

What is coaching and how is it different to counselling?

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

Hi all,
I will be in and out of the forum tonight as I cook and organise a few other things
Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO I am happy to go over questions other members have asked you to post first.

Special Guest
TBS-Coach1

Great question – because coaching is DIFFERENT to therapy, counselling, mentoring or advising.

When people think of coaching they often think of sports coaches and think performance, which isn’t quite the same as what we do here.

A coach is not a counsellor – we don’t focus on the problem or your performance, we believe you are the expert of your family. Our job is to help you identify your family strengths, find solutions that work for your family, and the way forward.

A good way to explain it is – imagine you want to get fit, but you have a knee injury. You meet with a personal trainer for help. The trainer wants to know about your knee, but it won’t be the focus. Together you work out how you can get fit, using the strengths that you do have. The focus is not on how you injured your knee and how you can fix it – that’s a different conversation, because your goal is to get fit.

Coaching believes that parents and carers are the experts in their family, and have the strengths and answers they need to support their teen … the skill of the coach is to bring out the best solutions from them, for their family.

So, coaching is about action and solving problems and your coach will always be focusing on the way forward.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hey @GrhRo So great to 'see' you ! Thanks for joining us. Have you done the coaching course? 

And what's on the menu? Anything amazing?