Thanks for the response. Yeh I guess we are looking for different forums, as our current approach doesn't seem to be working. and he is getting desperate for some answers and would just love to see some signs of improvements.
Have since discovered he is self-medicating with drugs and am wondering if anyone else has had experience with that. A friend of his is in a similar situation and his parents have accepted the approach to self-medication (although they don't agree), but don't see any alternative as it has kept him functioning. HIs medical team ie: gp/psychologist/psychiatrist are all aware of this self-medication and are working with him to ween him off gradually whilst he works on his mental health. Where as our 'medical team' are saying , stay away from drugs as it may impact the effectiveness of other medication, and this just leads down a path with not a great outcome.
Anyone else had experience with their child self-medicating with drugs to manage their mental health?
... View more
Hi everyone, Just joined this group so appreciative of any help.
My son who is in grade 12 this year has been battling depression for the last year and a half. We are up to our 3rd psychologist over that period, and been seeing a psychiatrist for the last 6 months. Medication or any other help has not made any/little difference and he is at the point of where:
1. He has nothing to look forward to so "what's the point."
2. None of the medication has helped, he says there hasn't been one day in the last year that he has felt excited or look forward to anything. HAve tried the maximum dosage of current medication and switched again...onto our third type
3. He has now turned to vaping and drugs. The latter is becoming more of a habit as he believes that is the only thing that makes him feel better and the only thing that stops him from self-harming. When nothing else seems to be working, I can understand why he would turn this way but I know that's not the answer. Pyschiatrist has strongly recommended to stop as it will inhibit the meds from working.
4. At the same time, he is just trying to get through grade 12,but he is doing that for everyone else not himself.
5. He is talking about self harming, and that dialog has opened with myself and my son.
6. I believe he is angry and frustrated because nothing has worked and he is getting tired of living this way.
Struggling to see a way forward here. Do we take him out of school and just focus on his health?
Thanks for listening
... View more