Need help now?

Worried about behaviour at school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Worriedmum1988

Hey all - I’m lost and looking for some advice.

My 5 year old son started school this year, had a good two days but following this - has a had a series of meltdowns (throwing items, screaming, trying to hurt others etc.). No issues during transition sessions.

When speaking with him about why he gets upset , he speaks about wanting to go first, not wanting to do what the teacher says.
He tells me that the classroom is too noisy.
We’ve offered ear muffs, says he worries what the other kids will think. He has a safe space to go to when he is dysregulated but then worries about missing out on things in the classroom.

Because he’s hit another student, he was suspended one day last week and now two days this week. Understanding student safety is important but I’m struggling with how a 5 year old understands the purpose of a suspension. We’ve explained it to him.

Like when he gets upset I think he’s unable to manage his emotions and is physically acting out. I don’t think he actually wants to hurt anyone but is struggling to manage and express emotions.

We have an appointment to have his ears checked and an appointment with a psychologist booked.

Any other advice or suggestions. We are really struggling about what to do and worry that the school will eventually just say it’s too hard.
Mod
Stormy-RO

Re: Worried about behaviour at school

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Worriedmum1988 

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. From what I have read I can see that you care so deeply for your child's well-being, it’s a beautiful thing to see. Any transitional period can be a challenging thing to get through, especially for a child.

I can see that communication means a lot to you and it's incredible to see you implement that with your son when trying to work with him. It's great to see you taking the time to not only talk to him, but to his teacher as well.

Your dedication to your son’s well-being is inspiring, and to see that you are putting in the time to seek support externally is amazing. Unfortunately our forums are aimed at parents and carers of 12-18 year-olds and so we can't give specific advice on what is happening with your son. I would like to share with you two services you might find helpful: Raising Children's Network and Parentline. Please let me know if these were any help. 

While your work towards your child's well-being is beautiful to see, I'm mindful about how you are looking after your own well-being. It’s very important that you are taking the time to look after yourself especially in moments like these, as the only way you can truly care for your son is to care for yourself as well. Practicing self-care can be extremely beneficial and I'm wondering what this might look like for you.

All the best.