Need help now?

Refuses to go to school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Putu1957

Refuses to go to school

My grandson has not been to school since March last year when we went into lockdown.  His anxiety is through the roof and his mother and I are at our wits end knowing how to help him this year.  The school has helped very minimally - he is ok getting into the school grounds, but walking into the class room is beyond him.  We have been waiting for him to see a physchiatrist for about 2 months now and he has an appointment in February, but what can we do to help him get into school on Thursday.  He is on medication for depression, but this is something more.  He sweats, turns pale, has the nervous poops and physically gets sick at times.

Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

Re: Refuses to go to school

That sounds like an incredibly difficult experience for both you and your family @Putu1957, and I am sorry to hear that your grandson has been struggling so much. I am glad to hear that you have a session booked with a psychiatrist, as it sounds like he may need some professional support to help him get through how he's feeling currently. I was wondering if you had any idea why he may be feeling this way at all? It might be a good idea to try and find out what is making him so terrified of school, and then work backwards from there to try and figure out how to best approach the situation 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
Birdwings

Re: Refuses to go to school

Hi Putu 1957,

I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's difficulties. Before I responded further, I wanted to clarify how old he is. That makes quite a difference to me in terms of a response.

Best wishes,

Birdwings