Need help now?

Teen vaping & aggressive

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Mumma80

Teen vaping & aggressive

My teen son has been found vaping. He is going through grief & I believe is depressed. He is getting in trouble at school like he never has before. He is very closed off. If he does talk it will be to me mostly when we are driving in the car. Refuses any help or even to get help via web chat. I’m at a loss how do I help him. What can I do? Please help
Thank you
Active scribe
Soph-RO

Re: Teen vaping & aggressive

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Mumma80 Thank you for sharing. It sounds like a stressful situation and you sound worried, rightfully so. You care about your Son a lot and he's lucky to have you. 

It sounds like there are a few different things going on here and you're right that your son probably needs some support from a mental health professional, which can be difficult if he's reluctant to get that support. Has the school been able to offer you any guidance? 

I'm wondering if this article here 'how to talk to your teen about vaping' would be helpful? There's also an article here 'how to talk to your teen about depression'. 

It sounds like he talks to you in the car, which is understandable as it's less intimidating talking when the other person is focussed on driving. Perhaps you could pick those moments to bring up discussions about mental health and encourage him to reach out for support? 

There's also parentline if you wanted to ask a counsellor for some advice. There is also headspace

If your Son is grieving, it may take some time for him to come around but I encourage you to keep trying to have those conversations. If he sees that you're not giving up on him, he might be more willing to accept help. Hang in there, it's hard. 

Active scribe
Mumma80

Thank you for your support. I will continue the communication in the car. We have gone to the school multi times & there is where he is most anxious. I have enquired with the local pcyc about doing a ready for work program which my son was open to. I hope this can help him & then hopefully he will be open to accept professional mental help
Mod
Stormy-RO

Hi @Mumma80 it's good to hear that you have some supports that you've already connected with. Following what your son is open to is a great idea, especially since you can both be on the same page with the process. Make sure to look after yourself in this time too. 

Active scribe
Mumma80

Thank you very much. It’s the only thing he has been open to & I’m glad that he is. Thank you for your support Stormy