Need help now?

Adult daughter with bad man

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Freya55

Adult daughter with bad man

My daughter is in love with a man who is a abuser. She's in denial and won't leave him. I have explained my thoughts to her, that I want nothing to do with him. I still want to be a part of her life but she resents me for not including him in family events. I feel I need to keep this boundary but she's falling away. I'm sad and confused.
Thanks for thoughts or advice.
Contributor
Hannah-RO

Re: Adult daughter with bad man

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Freya55 

So sorry to hear that this is happening, it is so tough when people we love are in these situations, my heart goes out to you and your family. Can I ask how old your daughter is?

We have some content around helping teens through domestic violence relationships which I'll link here if you'd like to have a look. Its a really horrible thing to watch this happen when our loved one doesn't want to leave the relationship, if you are concerned for her immediate safety contact emergency services - are you concerned for her safety?

The US national domestic violence service has a hotline that you are welcome to contact for advice which could be helpful, they also have some info on their website about supporting others which i've linked here.

I'm wondering as well if you've been able to look after yourself while all of this is happening? I can imagine it must be incredibly stressful for you as a parent, I hope you're able to take some time out for yourself Heart