Need help now?

The plebiscite & its impact on young people/families

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

The plebiscite is on our minds here at ReachOut, we want to improve and protect young people's mental health, and the plebiscite has the potential to do the opposite.. I've been reading articles about the potential impact of this public debate & vote on human rights, and the impact on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer young people and families... Like:

Mental health implication of a plebiscite on marriage equality

Spike in demand for mental health support for young people in wake of Safe Schools review & plebisci...

Have you talked about it in your families? We're keen to hear ideas on how we can prepare and empower LGBTIQ+ young people and rainbow families through this... Tell us your thoughts

Contributor
readthemanual

Re: The plebiscite & it's impact on young people/families

I am very aware of LGBTIQ community and young people who are more vulnerable. My heart goes out for those who struggled to come to terms with themselves and their loved ones. However, I also understand why some people are fearful about the Safe School Coalision and marriage equality. I followed one recent community debate on the SSC, one key conflict is people's fear/ (more than hatred) of the 'promotion' of LGBTIQ which might 'have detrimental effects on human productivity'. I think we need more dialogues.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: The plebiscite & it's impact on young people/families

So what might be some ideas on how to support young people through these public conversations debating their human rights?

Contributor
Mitzi

Re: The plebiscite & its impact on young people/families

I'm lucky. My son has been aware of LGBTIQ+ from an early age. His godfather is gay; he attends a school which is part of the Safe Schools Coalition. He has classes with young people who are openly gay and no-one thinks anything of it.

My son wonders why we even need a plebiscite on this issue. He asks why can't people marry a person they love regardless of gender. He wants to know why we are wasting all this time and money even discussing it. 

So then I have to tell him that not everyone thinks the way he thinks. 

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: The plebiscite & its impact on young people/families

Thats great @Mitzi, love to hear your son's perspective on it.....

I get his train of thought 100%!! Smiley Happy