Need help now?

Never Ends !!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
LeeBelle
Solved!

Never Ends !!

Hi,  I have four children in their 40's.  My eldest is 47 who has struggled with drug use since he was 14 he is still on treatment and has estranged himself.  Life has been hell for what he has been through and what it has done to us and the family.  

Now my 42 year old daughter is using drugs.  I have been absolutely distraught to the changes in the once loving, caring girl she was, now she has to go through all the steps to get to rehab.

My mental health is horrendous as coping all those years with drug use and spending most of his time in prison and we did so much to help him and were always there for him but it just never ended so in the end I had to try and accept that he will die one day due to the overdoses and now my daughter, has really crashed my mental health to crying, so sick and knotted up in stomach.  The anger, despair, at my age I can't do this again. Sometimes I think I would rather be dead as facing, see your children go through such a miserable, bad, crazy time of drug taking is too heartbreaking to see.

I am her mother and it seems I need as much help as she does.  

Thanks

This is just a few lines, but over the past 30 years or more it could be quite an unbelievable book.

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Bre-RO
Solution

Re: Never Ends !!

Hi there @LeeBelle 

Thank you so much for opening up about everything you and your family have been through. I want to acknowledge the deep pain, sadness and grief you are experiencing at the moment. You are clearly a loving mother who is going through enormous heartbreak. Witnessing your children go through addiction is a devastating path to walk. 

I can imagine that supporting your son over the years has completely worn you out, and to know that your daughter is struggling with an addiction must be almost too much to handle. With all of this in mind, it’s understandable that your mental health is suffering. 

You mentioned that you’re in need of as much help as your daughter, and I think that is very true. There’s only so much one person can handle, and it sounds like now is a time for you to look after yourself - as difficult and impossible as it may seem. I’m curious to know if you have any people in your life to support you? What you're going through is something that nobody should deal with alone and I truly hope you have support to carry you through this. 

I am going to send you an email soon, so please take a look when you’re in the right headspace to do so.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor
Bre-RO
Solution

Re: Never Ends !!

Hi there @LeeBelle 

Thank you so much for opening up about everything you and your family have been through. I want to acknowledge the deep pain, sadness and grief you are experiencing at the moment. You are clearly a loving mother who is going through enormous heartbreak. Witnessing your children go through addiction is a devastating path to walk. 

I can imagine that supporting your son over the years has completely worn you out, and to know that your daughter is struggling with an addiction must be almost too much to handle. With all of this in mind, it’s understandable that your mental health is suffering. 

You mentioned that you’re in need of as much help as your daughter, and I think that is very true. There’s only so much one person can handle, and it sounds like now is a time for you to look after yourself - as difficult and impossible as it may seem. I’m curious to know if you have any people in your life to support you? What you're going through is something that nobody should deal with alone and I truly hope you have support to carry you through this. 

I am going to send you an email soon, so please take a look when you’re in the right headspace to do so.