Need help now?

dealing with teenagers of my partner

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
ihavequestions

Hi, I am not even sure where to start but I will try and keep it short. Only wish I could turn back time really and not have moved in with my partner. I have a 6 year old daughter and I have been her primary carer since she was born. I met my partner over 2 years ago, however have not spent much time with his daughters - teenagers 14 and 18. We have all recently moved in and the first weekend the teenagers were over at our house, things blew up. The 18 year old started yelling at me and using profanity for taking her phone away - all of this in front of my 6 year old. My partner stood there and asked her to stop but did not intervene beyond that. I would like to understand what my rights are. The lease is under mine and my partner's name. Can I refuse the 18 year old to come to our house given that she is 18? Do I have any rights? I am in a desperate situation and I am looking at other alternatives of perhaps breaking the lease (which we just signed) and losing all the bond (money that I paid on my own). Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Mod
Hannah_RO

Re: dealing with teenagers of my partner

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @ihavequestions , I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult time at the moment. It sounds like moving in with your partner and both of your children hasn’t been the easiest transition, especially when it comes to your relationship with your partner's daughters. I am really glad that you reached out for support today. Living in a situation with such conflict is not helpful for anyone involved, and it’s important to address these issues for the sake of you and your family’s well-being. 

Regarding your rights, seeking legal advice might be a good first step to understand your rights and options in this situation. The Family Relationships Online Advice Line might be worth reaching out to, as they can provide you with information about tenancy laws, family law, and any other relevant information that may apply to your situation. 

I am wondering if you have had a chance to have an open and honest conversation with your partner about the situation? Communicating your concerns and feelings regarding the family dynamics may help you both work together to find potential solutions and ensure your home is a safe environment for the whole family. 

Family counselling or therapy is also an option, and might help to address the issues and find a way to create a safe living environment for everyone involved. Family therapy can provide a safe space for open communication, conflict resolution, and understanding between family members. If this is something you are interested in, Relationships Australia is a great starting point. 

Remember to prioritise yours and your daughters safety and wellbeing. Reach out to trusted family members, friends, or professionals who can offer support and guidance through this difficult time. Take care, and I hope things improve for you and your family.

Active scribe
t2008

Re: dealing with teenagers of my partner

I've actually just come out of a 3 year relationship!

Blended families are extremely difficult!

Are you still together? Would you consider moving out & he stay the rental? The daughter is 18, I do believe you can not allow her in your home. How does the Dad feel about this?

Why did the 18 yr old blow up at you?