Need help now?

Kick start Family Therapy

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
cjs_mmm

Kick start Family Therapy

I am keen to get Family Therapy for my ex-wife and I and our 14yo daughter.  However, my ex-wife is reluctant and believes that she is doing all the work she can on her own and takes my daughter for one-on-one sessions with her therapist (????Strange)

How can I argue for it to be changed to Family Therapy so that we can all be on the same page and heading in the same direction.

Mod
Bel_RO

Re: Kick start Family Therapy

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @cjs_mmm ,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the courage to post on the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time. It is good to see that you are trying to be involved with your daughter's support journey which shows that you care. If you feel comfortable, I'd be interested to learn a little more about what you hope to gain from family therapy?

I also recommend visiting Relationships Australia and Family Relationships for advice on changing your daughters' one-on-one sessions to family therapy. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Casual scribe
cjs_mmm

Hi

I guess my most optimistic outcome is that her mum and I can find a way to interact healthily and we jointly decide to start a repair and recovery process (couples therapy).  At the same time setting up an agreement on healthy expectations and boundaries to support each of us move forward. 

My 2nd most optimistic outcome is that her mum and I can find a way to interact healthily and we can demonstrate that in front of our daughter.  This outcome i on her wishlist.  At the same time setting up an agreement on healthy expectations and boundaries to support each of us in move forward. 

My 3rd most optimistic outcome is that we simply manage to set up an agreement on healthy expectations and boundaries to support each of us in moving forward. 

I have my own personal therapist - Clinical Psychologist

My wife and my daughter both see the same counsellor/therapist.  As far as I know, this lady only meets with them separately.  My wife refuses to give me any information about this therapist.

Open to advice

:-)

Tks

Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @cjs_mmm ,

Thank you for responding. It sounds like you are have been doing what you can on your side to better things but your wife does not really seem interested. Do I have that right?

The points you have raised seem reasonable. I'm curious to know what you think might be stopping her from engaging in couples therapy? Have you ever been able to share these goals of therapy with her - whether in writing or face-to-face?

I'm not expert, but perhaps it's good to speak to someone about your current situation? As parents, both have rights when it comes to their children. Perhaps Family Relationships Online which Bel-RO shared with you is a good start. It may give you some guidance as to how to move forward.

All the best.