Need help now?

Chat with a Young Person about their bullying experience

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Chat with a Young Person about their bullying experience

Special Guest
rubymay

Re: Chat with a Young Person about their bullying experience

I think that parents and teachers need to be aware that not all kids are nice and that bullying can occur to anyone and anytime. Talking to your child and preparing them for the realization that some people might not like you is important. Also teaching your children to be nice and to include others is just as important.

The only thing I wish I'd known was that it's okay to talk to people about what is going on. It's going to help not hinder
Active scribe
Dani_

Thank you @rubymay again for chatting with tonight, you are really strong!

thanks to all the other parents here for sharing their experiences too
Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Thanks so much to all the parents who made it tonight - @Dani_ @Murgatroyd @Maggiemay @Greencheckers

And a giant thank you to @rubymay for volunteering her time to talk to us tonight - sharing her experience and the things that helped her cope and overcome bullying!

We talked about communication being key, the support of parents and carers. Parents could help by initiating conversations and actively listening to what they have to say. It’s helpful to resist the temptation to jump in a fix it all. Instead, support your teenager to figure out options and then a course of action.

We acknowledged that teenagers experiencing bullying are often isolated, so actively helping them to get a supportive network of friends can really help.

To explore all the self-help content on bullying we have here on ReachOut Parents visit: https://parents.au.reachout.com/bullying
It includes support if your teenager is experiencing bullying, witnessing bullying or maybe they are bullying others.

You can also always jump on here to the forums to get help from other parents

Active scribe
Dani_

Thank you @Ngaio-RO!
Active scribe
Dani_

Good night all!
Super star contributor
taokat

I can't believe I missed it! Life doesn't always go as planned!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

@taokat I relate!

I think it's just the life of a parent to always want to do stuff but to often lack the time / energy / opportunity to do it.

Next time! Cat Wink

Frequent scribe
seaglecc

Hello all I'm sorry I've dropped off for a while and missed this talk, I've just started Uni, studying Bachelor of Social Work. This topic is very close to my heart. We've experienced severe bullying in our family and schools. Looking forward to reading the rest of the thread. 

I will be in touch.