Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

That's a great point @dougs It definitely needs to be a collection of signs, rather than one thing because exactly as you say, my 14-year-old can happily spend all weekend in bed.

Super star contributor
taokat

Yes @Ngaio-RO, my daughter started sleeping long hours, not getting up in the mornings. And when she did wake up it was a slow process before she actually felt wide awake. Now she prefers to be awake at night and sleep most of the day.

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Hi @dougs!

100% it can get tricky because at all ages we withdraw because we might be having an off day! If this is linked in with a drop in grades, missing school and talking about themselves negatively then it would be a good time to check in with them. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Good question @taziness

We're talking about mental health and young people. 

So some parents here, like yourself and @taokat will possibly have more insights than questions but we also have Dom from batyr who works with young people in schools, so he's a great person to get tips off.

TYhis is also the first of hopefully many more.

Prolific scribe
taziness

What I thought was sleeping was actually hiding out! I found my daughter was actually having great difficulty falling asleep and the quality if any, poor. She still struggles with this, but mindfulness/meditation is helping immensely. For both of us!

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Special Guest
dom-batyr

@Ngaio-RO changes in behaviour most definitely go both ways...sleeping more / less, eating more / less etc.

Interesting as a lot of young people we work with in schools highlight this as a sign (lack of sleep) they often notice in themselves when school becomes a bit stressful due to exams and social / peer pressures.

Super star contributor
taokat

I agree all - being a teenagers it is normal for them to sleep longer. It needs a few signs to point to mental illness.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

@taokat is that change part of what she's going through or related to something else? How did you manage the shift in sleeping pattern?

@taziness was she hiding from the world? Or was she trying to stop you noticing what was going on?

Special Guest
dom-batyr

@taokat we here this all the time. Great that you were able to notice this change in behaviour.
The next challenge is trying to start the conversation and listening to what is going on for them.

Prolific scribe
taziness

The survey I participated in today was about how and why young people might be challenged to actually seek professional help or cease to engage more actively with it (ie. they attend a couple of appointments and then don't). I have personally felt that this is due to the lack of 'real connection' with the provider, and a great deal of input still required (fair enough!) from the parent to encourage and support this process. 

I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on this Dom, for young people who may not have an active parent?

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania