Need help now?

Help locating the right mental healthcare

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Help locating the right mental healthcare

Casual scribe

Help locating the right mental healthcare

My son is 15, has ADHD and ODD.
He will not take medication for this qs he doesn't like how it makes him feel.
He is exceptionally intelligent but we struggle to get him to go to school.
His father and I have recently separated due to his father being an alcoholic and the verbal abuse escalating.
My son struggles to absorb these issues. He is happier without his dad here as he feels his dad blames him for everything and doesn't love him. He is right that his dad blames him but the blame is misplaced.
My husband attempted suicide last night and was hospitalised.
My son could not process this and completely lost control.
He was pacing, screaming, hitting things.
He needs help now and I don't know where to turn.
I have had him to numerous counsellors and psychologists without success.
Is there any programs on in NSW that can help with an intensive and continuing support program


Re: Help locating the right mental healthcare

Message contains a hyperlink

Hello @Rachel12345 , sorry to hear about the situation that you are in. It sounds like you have been through a lot and that things are particularly tough at the moment. It seems like things have been quite tough for your son lately too. Does your son have much support around him? Would he feel comfortable talking to anyone about what he has been going through? Kids Helpline is a free, confidential telephone counselling service that he can call to talk with a counsellor for support. You mentioned that you separated with your partner recently as verbal abuse was escalating, are you feeling concerned about your and your son's current safety?


Do you have anyone that you feel comfortable talking to about what has happened recently? Parentline is another service similar to Kids Helpline, except they offer free counselling for parents and carers. You could call them up to talk through what you have been going through lately and they might also be able to offer you some advice around getting further support for your son. Hope this helps. I also just wanted to quickly let you know that I have had to edit some details of your post to fit in with our community guidelines as we cannot share specific locations Smiley Happy

Star contributor

Re: Help locating the right mental healthcare

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Rachel12345 , 


I'm so sorry to hear that you and your son have been going through such a hard time recently, I can imagine that it would have been incredibly distressing for both of you to find out that your husband had attempted to take his life. 


I hope you don't mind, but I just thought I would list a few other support services in NSW that may be able to help you and your son find the right support- apologies in advance if you're already aware of any of these: 


Family Connect and Support   can help to connect you to a range of services and supports in your local area, including helping to co-ordinate services, and they can also refer on for more complex needs.  The link I've attached here has an option for you to enter where you live, so you can find your local provider.


 Mental Health Line  can be contacted on 1800 011 511 for advice, assessment and referral- it is staffed 24/7 by qualified professionals, and can refer on to the most appropriate services under the Child and Adolescent Mental Health teams in your area. They have multidisciplinary teams of psychiatrists, psychologist, allied health professionals, counsellors and mental health nurses. 

One program it might be worth asking about is the Whole Family Team


Whole Family Teams

Families with complex needs often risk falling through service gaps, often missing out on services due to access and support issues. The​​ Whole Family Team helps to prevent vulnerable families from falling through service gaps, helping them with complex mental health and with problematic alcohol and other drug use that impact the safety of their children.



Your Service Hub (family drug and alcohol support services) : this government site lets you search for support services for families affected by alcohol misuse.. 


I'm also wondering if the hospital where your husband has been admitted has referred you and your family on to their social work team at all? They may also be able to help in finding some good support services for your son and your family. 


Do you have any family or friends helping to support you at the moment? It sounds like an incredible stressful and difficult situation for you, we are here to listen. 



Casual scribe

Re: Help locating the right mental healthcare

Thank you for the links.
I will do some research to see what will be the best option.

The hospital was no help at all. They discharged him the next morning and said they would call. They haven't called.
They did not give advice other then his mental health will not improve until he gives up alcohol.

My family are extremely supportive and contacting me and the kids daily.

He went to rehab today. I took him, stayed for a couple of hours to settle him in. 2 hours later he was messaging me to come pick him up.
I refused to but again no one tells you what to expect or how to manage things.

Again, thank you for the links.
Super frequent scribe

Re: Help locating the right mental healthcare

Hi @Rachel12345,


Hopefully the experience with the hospital improves. It can be difficult if hospital do not provide resources.    It's great that you have a supportive family, it can make a world of difference in times like these. 


Rehab can be difficult place to settle into and it is normal for people to have "buyers remorse" when first entering.  It is very strong of you to say no to him and not pick him up.  Wishing you all the best moving forward.