Need help now?

School phobia and anxiety

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Ella21

School phobia and anxiety

Hi I’m new here and any advice would be grateful. Since lockdown began my 15 yr old daughter has started with anxiety especially towards school and has developed like a phobia towards school.
School has helped us by placing her in a smaller class group which still does not help the situation we are in.. has anyone else experienced this?
Scribe
Bundy

Re: School phobia and anxiety

I’m new here too!
Having the same problem with my 13 year old. Loved school and hanging out with friends and since Covid is going through really not wanting to go where we have tears, almost hyperventilating each morning. We have also moved to a new area and really has no interest in trying to make any friends. If I mention going to talk to someone to learn some skills for coping then we have a major melt down. I’m at my wits ends not knowing how to help the situation.
Active scribe
Ella21

It’s heartbreaking isn’t it! I’ve kept my daughter home this week and she is joining in live lessons with school from her laptop.. not sure where we go from here though x
Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hi @Ella21, I am sorry to hear that you are going through so much right now. It sounds incredibly difficult. I know that other parents have experienced similar situations, especially in regards to COVID. It can be so hard to know where to go next after already trying so many different strategies. I know that some parents have looked into online/distance education. It is not for everyone but I am wondering if it might be an option for your daughter? I am also wondering if you have thought of seeing a psychologist? You or your daughter could attend alone, or together. This could allow you a safe place to share and release stress or it may be able to help provide you/your daughter with additional tools to navigate this situation.
Active scribe
Ella21

Hi Taylor thanks for your advice, we are currently receiving some help from Camhs who have today arranged a counselling session with us for 2 weeks time so hopefully we are getting some kind of help finally.
Also feel like I’m being pushed into removing my daughter from the school register and starting homeschooling but I’ve been reassured today that this is something I don’t need to rush into x
Contributor
Hannah-RO

Hey @Ella21 

Thanks for getting back to us, I hope CAMHS is helpful and your daughter finds the counselling sessions with them to be supportive, let us know how you go Heart

Thats great to hear that you're not feeling rushed anymore into making decisions about schooling, they are big decisions and I'm glad you've been reassured with this.

Hope you and your family have a beautiful weekend! Feel free to keep us updated on how things are going Heart

Active scribe
Ella21

Thankyou and I will do have a lovely weekend also x