Need help now?

Teaching your teen to drive

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
BazanFan

Teaching your teen to drive

Everyone knows teaching your child to drive can be an extremely stressful experience.

This thread is a bit of a chance to tell your horror story / funny experience or concerns regarding teaching your teen to drive.

Super frequent scribe
Kalis

Re: Teaching your teen to drive

Goodness, my back was positively dripping with sweat! I hope everyone else had a good—and drier—experience.

Contributor
readthemanual

very good topic! @BazanFan

My daughter has just got her learner license but we have not started yet. My idea is for her to ride a game car for some hours before she actually gets behind the wheel and then we'd probably get her some driving lessons. I am very impatient so would not be a good teacher.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Frequent scribe
seaglecc

OH MY this is hot topic in our house ATM. My daughter is studying the book, looking for a car to purchase and I'm becoming anxious as the day draws nearer.

I'm not confident I will be a good teacher in the driving department, her father however feels he's the expert! That makes my anxieties even worse coz he's one of the most aggressive drivers I know.

I've suggested professional instruction, for I feel it's in her best interest, that did not govern well with her father. I used the metaphor that our son plays the drums and he has a professional teacher, they are in school to be taught by educators, so what makes driving and different! It did not end well to say the least. (And I'm not talking about the soon to be learner driver either).

Any tips on how to deal with it all would be grateful.
Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

When I learned to drive, my only point of reference was video games (like Sega Rally) so I took a sharp corner without braking and just yanking the wheel over. I think mum nearly had kittens! Not surprisingly she palmed me off to a professional instructor soon after Smiley LOL

I know it's different in each state, but don't you need a professional instructor to sign off and move onto your P's @seaglecc?

@Rehab, @nellyblye, @Brain-Fog, @Sadie@mum_of_four - I think you've mentioned having older kids. Have you been through the driving lessons yet?!

Highlighted
Contributor
readthemanual

@seaglecc it's hard to find a good tutor though. I remember I had this guy who took me just before my first driving test and said, call me if you fail! which really discouraged me, though I was then an exprienced driver (more than 10 years overseas). I did fail because I waited too long to make a turn where there has no light and then the test took longer and school zone started last minutes and I was too nervous to notice. I took another test at next available booking and the officer was surprised that I had failed before.

My daughter is having her yearly and then work experience and busy time table before xmas. I guess we won't start till next year.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Active scribe
TheOtherChe

I remember I had a driving instructor and did the logbook on my Ls, seemed to work out ok; not that I've ever reverse parallel parked since then mind you!

Scribe
Soteria

I made them install an app(Kruzr) which would block their mobile notifications, so that they can't use it while driving. It also notified the driver about speeding. Give it a try