Need help now?

Trust and P platers

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Trust and P platers

Interested in others thoughts...ms16's friends have just got their P's which means limited solo driving experience yet a newly found independance. Exciting times I know! However, I am reluctant for her P plating newbies to provide lifts at night or for longer drives to unfamiliar locations until they gain more experience. Especially on the day they received their Ps or within the first few weeks. Anyone else experienced this? Any advice/thoughts? 

•  

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Re: Trust and P platers

Any thoughts @Bellolpop @Melbeedee @twentyfive and @Stephs_Mum By the way, welcome to RO parents! Thanks for stopping by Smiley Happy

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Active scribe
twentyfive

Agree
Our kids are too precious to let out at night in a car with an inexperienced driver to unfamiliar location
I would certainly only allow short trips in "safe" conditions until they build up experience
I'm sure easier said than done though and fortunately haven't reached this stage yet!
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Ohh this is an interesting one...

It's understandable to feel worried and protective, there is a potential for real harm here... (Thou more yougn people die by suicide than car accidents sadly).

By law they are fully qualified provisional drivers now, and have done hundreds of hours of driving while on their Ls. I remember feeling SO mature at 17, but looking back now, I wasn't.

The Ps test is not that easy to pass, but it's all about confidence now that they will build up over the coming months - what does your daughter think?
Contributor
readthemanual

Totally agree!

I would prefer to keep my taxi driver position for longer.

Also, I thought there are laws that restrict under aged passengers in a car as I could remember.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Frequent scribe
StHubbins

I'm with @Sophie-RO  

My girls are now 18 & 19.  Miss 18 hasn't got her licence, but Miss 19 got hers the day she could.  Now that you have to do 120 hours before you sit the test, and there is zero tolerance for alcohol, I'm okay with them driving around with P platers.  They can't drive at night with more than one passenger, and one mistake and they lose their licence.

For the first few months, I wouldn't let them go on long trips (say more than an hour) with P platers.  Now Miss 19 is driving from Sydney to Byron Bay later in the month with some friends, and I'm ok with that.

========================================

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Sounds like most parents are concerned about the first weeks/months - but as their experience and confidence develops so does your trust!

Contributor
Mitzi

As much as we wish it wasn't so, our kids grow up. And we need to let them. What that means to me is 17 or 18 years of advice on life, the universe, and any applicable legal codes then ... trust and hope.

At 18 they are deemed to be adults: by law, by the electoral commission, by Births, Deaths and Marriages, by clubs and licensed premises and -- as much as I hate to say it -- by the Armed Forces of our Government should a war break out and conscription be introduced.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

That's true, you've had 18 years to instill all your best input now is their chance to use it!
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Thanks @twentyfive I agree with the shorter trips to begin with!