Need help now?

I want my parents to financially support my baby until I’m 18

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Fruitsalad900

I am a pregnant minor. I have already decided that I’m keeping the baby. Under my states law, there’s no law that says a parent has to provide for their grandchild even if their child is a minor. The thing is, I don’t can’t work, go to school, and take care of a baby at the same time. I would just fail all my classes and not graduate. My boyfriend is a full time student so he can only work weekends while I stay home with the baby. His income is not enough. I really need my parents financial support until I graduate. There’s no way in hell I can manage to hold down a job in the middle of all this. When I told them I’m keeping the baby, my parents told me to start looking for a job before I start to show because then, employers wouldn’t hire me. Like I said before, it’s too hard for me to work while staying at home with the baby and going to school.

Highlighted
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: I want my parents to financially support my baby until I’m 18

Hello @Fruitsalad900, sounds like you are in a tricky situation at the moment. It sounds like there is a lot going on for you. Sounds like you have had a discussion with your parents already about them being able to help you out financially. In this discussion, did you tell them what you have written here and some of the things that you have considered? Could you possibly come to an agreement with them where they can help you out in a way that you both feel comfortable with? You mentioned that you are still at school, could you possibly talk with your school counsellor to explore some extra financial support for yourself? We are a service located in Australia, and I can see that you are from another country. Unfortunately, we can't provide you with specific resources but would encourage you to seek some services in your area. 

Casual scribe
marcelongo

Re: I want my parents to financially support my baby until I’m 18

The situation is really complicated. But I agree with the previous comment, you should look for more help in your region, or continue talking to your parents. Maybe your boyfriend should find a well-paid job. Believe me, it's not so difficult to combine work and study now. In any case, solve this problem with a guy because the responsibility lies only with you.