Need help now?

Talking to teenagers about drinking

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Talking to teenagers about drinking

Frequent scribe
StHubbins

Re: Talking to teenagers about drinking

I tried offering our kids alcohol at home - just a glass of wine - at around 15 / 16.  They were not interested at all, and still now don't want to drink with us ever.  But I know they both like a drink with their friends!

========================================

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Super frequent scribe
HalleysComet

@readthemanual wrote:

second thought: if the children are to drink anyway, why don't we let them drink and test their boundaries at home? Will it help?

I think so, to minimise the harm that might occur and also to make it not such a mysterious and appealing thing to do behind your back!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Even writing content for ReachOut we find it hard to get the balance right - get across the info they need to know in a way that they will actually engage with.

We don't want to be patronizing or too authoritative - they'll just switch off and not getting any info.
Contributor
readthemanual

yes, it's hard to balance.

Founding member
Poppa_bear

Hi all
Its such a difficult task for a parent given the social acceptance of drinking , especially to excess . As I'm basically a non drinker the ex and I ( &her Italian heritage ) started giving our two drinks of wine mixed with lemonade when they hit the teens. I always stressed the importance of moderation . Once they turned 18 with parties etc they both had a few but didn't get wiped out like most of their peers.
Yes they drink . They now know their own limits. Like one of the others have said on here my taxi is always available no matter what the time of night . .
Frequent scribe
StHubbins

@Poppa_bear I agree re the taxi.  Just a few weeks ago I had a very drunk 17 yo call me at midnight totally smashed asking if I could pick her up.  Whilst I wasn't happy she was smashed, at the same time I was really proud that at 17 she thought she could call me and I would be there for her without judging.  (until the next day at least)

========================================

Frequent scribe
Alexendra

I agree with your thoughts. Drink in teen age can badly affect anyone brain. Being a parent we should know whats going on in our child's life Smiley Mad….