Tips for starting at a new school

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Annie-RO

Message contains an image

Hey guys!

I'm Annie, the content manager here at ReachOut Parents. I was hoping I could get some help on an article I'm putting together. 

Starting at a new school (whether it's transitioning to high school or moving) can be pretty scary for teenagers and parents alike. What are your top tips for making it as smooth as possible?

Active scribe
Annie-RO

Re: Tips for starting at a new school

Message contains an image

Any hot tips perhaps @taokat @Beingme2017 @Maggiemay @seaglecc @Zoesplace @the_ant65 ?? It could be a tip from when your teen started high school or if they've had the experience of moving high schools.

thank you so much GIF by chuber channel

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Some tips from the peer supporters:
Maybe try and start fresh with a tidy room and desk ?
Make sure uniforms, bag and shoes organised
I think it's good to have a chat about what foods they want to make/ have at school so maybe go to supermarket together and make sure everything needed is ready
My teen likes to have a social day just before school goes back to kind of say goodbye to holidays - tries to organise it with as many friends as possible
Highlighted
Scribe
FollowAriadne

When my now 21 year old daughter was 16,we returned from 4 years abroad.  Not only did she need to start a new school, but had to readjust to Australia as well.  I researched schools which I thought would be a good ‘fit’ for her.  Her experiences meant she was very mature for her age, so settling back into a school which expected students to wear uniforms and where tight control was exercised over time and movement just wasn’t going to work.  I chose to send her to a senior high, where the students were expected to be more self motivated.  

However, my daughter is also anxious, and has overly high expectations of herself.  This was tricky, as our new school was in a city in which we had never before lived.  Luckily, my husband has a large network, and we discovered another child (also based o/s) was enrolled.  We encouraged the girls to make contact, and arranged for them to meet on the first day.

Luckily for us, the school had a day where incoming students who were not local had to enrol in person, and while we were in line, I made sure to speak to other parents. - Although my child was 16, she did not have the confidence to do this - you still have to make play dates! Smiley Happy.  Now she had two colleagues to join on that first day.  It made all the difference.

So, my advice is,

a) research the school, and choose one which will suit your child.  (Even if you are zoned, there are special interest schools which take kids from other areas).

B) Try and find one or two other children in the same boat, and organise a support group.  Ask the school if they do anything, (a welcome event where newbies can contact others),  and if not, suggest they set something in place - even a simple sign directing ‘orphans’ (kids who haven’t come from a feeder school) to a meetup point Could be very helpful.

Active scribe
Annie-RO

Thanks @FollowAriadne and @Sophi-RO (plus the parent peer supporters). Super helpful! I'll post up the article when it's finished Smiley Happy