Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @ConcernedMomof1 - yes this is definitely still up and running! 

There are lots of more recent posts, but it could be that there are old ones linked from the main website, or other places?

Check out newer posts here and here Smiley Happy 

If you want to introduce yourself more here feel free, or if you want to access more support around a particular issue you can post over here.  Heart

Casual scribe
ConcernedMomof1

I'm a mom of a 17 year old that has always struggled in school and has ADD (no hyperactivity) his main issue is inability to focus. The thing that brought me here is 2 of 4 of his teachers I met with tonight at conferences told me he has low self-esteem. Eye opening comments since they obviously didn't talk to each other beforehand. He has never been social and I was always concerned about that but didn't have any idea why.
He does have a fun sense of humor and makes me laugh often. He's quick witted.
Weekends give me the best chance to see both my husband and son so I cherish those times.
gina-Ro

@ConcernedMomof1  Thank you for joining the forum, and sharing with us a bit about your family. 

It sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your 17 yo! But that must be really difficult to hear second hand about his self-esteem.. I can see you've posted in another thread too, so I'll jump over there to respond further. 

be assured you've found yourself at a supportive and insightful community of parents who are always keen to encourage each other and share experiences . 

Heart

Prolific scribe
Orbit64

Yes it is up and running. It is a great support forum and the coaching offered is terrific. 

Scribe
StanMan

Hi we have 2 teens daughter 15 son 14 We just hope for them to be the best they can be, enjoy life along the way and respect us.
They are both doing well at school but S needs contant prodding to complete school assignments and revision for tests etc When he does the extra at home it does show in good results.
D is a social media princess and has recently started going on dates but seems to be handling it all ok so far.
S spends all his free time gaming and it seems wanting to get back on asap when we are doing stuff as a family etc.
They both leave their devices on charge out of their bedrooms when lights out so no problem there but getting to the "actual lights out" stage especially for S is a struggle.
We have a set time and give time reminders as the "lights out" time approaches.
With S it's just a minute, I'm busy, coming, leave me alone etc are every day responses and I tend to loose it at times and end up snatching the device away. He has then looked at me as if I'm a madman and making me feel bad crying himself to sleep.
I've talked to him about a balanced life many times and to have other interests and I have thought of restricting game time but I don't want to be that over strict parent and have him hate me.
Any suggestions?
Highlighted
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hi @StanMan it is very tricky being a parent especially when it comes to setting boundaries however it is important to implement some rules around screen time.  It can be helpful to reward good behaviour with screen time.

It sounds like you are trying to find a balance and worry about being to strict on your children, it may be helpful to sit down with both your children and discuss some boundaries which are fair although still ensure there are restrictions in place.

I wish you all the best with everything.

Scribe
RobGaP

Hey there I’m Rob, 50yo and now proudly gay and married to my partner of 25 years.
We recently went to the Broken Heel Festival in a Broken Hill. We busted the Reach Out market stalls and learnt about the mentoring the group does with helping LGBTI+ young people.
I think it’s great support and wish I had such a group to help me understand and assist with mentoring at that age.
I hope I can learn more about the group and help out if I can myself.
Thanks for allowing me to join and be involved.
Rob.
gina-Ro

Hi ther @RobGaP
So glad you've joined  our online community - That's awesome that you saw us over at the Broken Heel festival Smiley Very Happy
We believe strongly in supporting young LGBTI people, and promote full inclusion and celebration of sexual diversity!  Congrats on your 25 year relationship and marriage!! That's awesome to hear. 

If you're interested in other ways to be involved check out our page here  for more opportunities.

Lovely to hear from you Heart

compassion

Hello all, 

I hope to learn from all of you (and hopefully offer support along the way as well) and  I am already grateful that such a space exists. 

We have two daughters, 15 and 11, and a son 9.  

Life is such that there is not as much laughter as I would like/need.  But, this question is important.  My younger daughter made me laugh recently because she desperately wants a cat, and put together the most elaborate presentation for us, with more research than I have ever seen her produce for a school assignment.  My older child...I overheard her laughing and joking with a girl at her school.  I'm deeply worried about her, and her laughter--when we do get to hear it--is precious. 

I came here to this forum because I am scared.  Our older daughter's life has spiralled this past year, and I am scared for her.  I feel like I have failed.  

Parenting advice to ignore? I don't know.  Right now I don't feel like I have the wisdom to tell anyone what is valuable advice or disposable advice.

Plans for the school holidays? I am not in Australia (East Coast North America) and it feels like our school year has just started. We are getting through week by week here so I hope that our next school break will see our family together and, fingers crossed, breathing easier.  

Thank you for asking these questions. I look forward to 'meeting' you all.

Also, where is the best place to post my family's story (or at least this current chapter of our story).

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @compassion,

Welcome to ReachOut! Thank you for introducing yourself and your family to our community! We hope you find this is a really supportive place where you can talk to other parents going through similar experiences.

It sounds like your daughter has been struggling and I can hear how much love and concern you have for her Heart We would really like to learn more about you and your daughter's experiences too. If you want to share a bit more with us, you are welcome to start a topic here and tell us a bit more about what is happening.

It's not easy to come online and talk about what is happening in your family, and I want to acknowledge that courage. We look forward to seeing you on the forums and getting to know you better Heart

Check out our community activities calendar here