Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Super frequent scribe
Serapis22

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Funniest thing my granddaughter did was show me how to twerk I thought that was hilarious
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That sounds incredibly funny @Serapis22

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Welcome @Serapis22 So great to have you here!

If you click here this will take you to where you can start a new topic. This is a great place to write a bit more about what happened with your granddaughter so other parents / grandparents and carers can offer their expereinces and insights.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you are not sure about something.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Hello to our new members @Serapis22  @pewku @Donrita @Cate64 and @pumkinraiderz

Welcome to ReachOut Parents - So great to have you here!!

welcome cabin boy chris elliot willkommen

@Serapis22 has said hello and we'd love to hear from everyone.

You can asnwer these or just say hi.

1. How old are your kids and what's something they do that makes you smile?
2. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
3. Last film or TV series you watched and loved?
4. Favourite holiday spot?

Casual scribe
jkadavil

Hi I am Kadavil (a dad)...I have a 15 yr old boy, 14 yr old daughter and a 11 yr old son. Our older son is funny, but at the same nagging too..he makes us laugh and at the same time keep pushing the boundaries..I keep my stress levels down by visiting social media or watching movies..Seen the info fo this site on another site..a chance encounter..Top tip: keep communicating with them all the time and make them feel free to open up..they should be able to tell everything that happens in their daily life..best thing about week-ends...relaxing...attending kids sports activities..social activities..

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @jkadavil

Lovely to have you in the community. 

Your top top tip is a great one! Open communication is so important and keep our kids known to us!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Welcome @jkadavil! Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello. It's great to have you here.

I love your tip about communicating with your son. Particularly because it was only a few generations ago that males were expected to keep their feelings to themselves and encouraging a son to talk about his feelings was unheard of.

You might be interested in this article here which talks about dads playing a crucial role in developing their son's emotional wellbeing.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, jump here, choose a category and click on Start a Topic.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. We're all very happy to help.

Active scribe
Myfeuilletine

Hi, I'm new here. I have 3 kids, ages 19,16, and 14. 

Parenting is really stressful, so I try to de-stress by having some alone time, doing a little yoga, meditating and praying in private, having a little treat once in a while.

What led me to ReachOut today is my issue with my middle son. We have been having conflicts more than usual due to his behaviours and i think I've tried every thing I could possibly do to keep him in line, to discipline him, to teach him what's wrong and right, to think about his actions and their consequences. My husband(who works in another state and comes home every so often) and two other kids tell me that the problem is not me, as they are also witness to our conflicts. But sometimes I think about what I'm doing or not doing that is making him behave in upsetting ways. My situation with my son is getting to be more and more difficult and I think i need help with him. i have contacted his mentor at school about this and i have yet to receive a reply.

I guess what I can say to parents who are about to enter teen years is extend your patience. It's hard to do sometimes, but sometimes that's all you can do.

The best thing about weekends for me is I get to sleep a little longer than usual Smiley Happy 

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Hey @Myfeuilletine - welcome to ReachOut. So glad you found us. Sounds like things have been pretty stressful at home.

Has there been anything you tried that did work with him? What sort of communication does he respond best to?

I have two ideas - one, you could start a new topic here and explore it more with other parents.

Or, check out our new online (free) coaching service. You get 1 - 4 sessions online with a professional who will help you set up an action plan to try and address the conflict with your son. Check it out here.

Let us know what you decide!

Active scribe
Myfeuilletine

Hi, @Sophi-RO, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I found this community. I'm really at my wits end with parenting my middle child and I hope to learn some things to help me with my situation. 

Most recently, before school started, I talked to him in a friendly and light manner and he responded well to that. When we are both in good terms with each other, he is really a loving and affectionate boy and he responds well to love and affection. Especially if it comes from his dad. I observe that he is more attentive and he listens more to his dad, especially when it's a tough talk or another problematic situation. But his dad isnt with us too often given the nature of his work in another state (and time zone). 

Maybe I will start a new topic and get help from other parents who may have been in a similar situation. 

Thanks so much.