Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Casual scribe
Sgshephs

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi, kids girl 11, boys 15 a 16. Single parent.
I keep calm doing creative stuff. I am struggling with my kids device addiction.
Top tip- talk as equals to kids .
Weekends are hard. Family diners.
Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Welcome to the forums @Sgshephs !

It's great you are able to keep clam by doing creative things. I hear you are struggling with an global issue - device addiction! 

What are some things you have tried? Do parental timers, internet nannies etc work for you?

Casual scribe
Sgshephs

Hi, I have tried taking the devices but impossible as they use for school.

I do family things which work well. But once we are back home it starts again.

I like them to self manage and the middle child does. But not the younger and older ones

It is doing my head in a bit
S
Scribe
mishm

Re: New member Mishy

Hi there,

I am new to this forum.

i was given this by my girls well-being lady at her high school.

My daughter is 14yoa and has hardly been to school in Term 1 and I believe 4 days in Term 2.

I am looking to get a phycologist soon in which I have got someone I will book with soon.

My girl has been suffering anxiety and some depression since last year.

I believe Covid lockdowns and having covid played a huge part in her well-being.

The loss of her Nan 2 years ago, a huge part of her life was affected as all of ours was and still is.

I guess I wanted to see what other experiences for families are happening and if any advice or thoughts from other families.

I also have an 18yoa boy whose trying to find work but he has anxiety and adhd mild so it is overwhelming having both kids to help and deal with their well-being.  As best I can,

I also work so it can make one quite exhausted and my husband does too.

Apologies I wasn't too sure what to type.

Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Re: New member Mishy

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @mishm ,

Welcome to the forums. We are glad you have been able to reach out. I hear your struggles in supporting your daughter to go to school. It sounds like there is a lot going on for you and your daughter.

Have you been able to speak to your daughter to talk about why she does not want to go to school? There can be so many reasons for this including:

- anxiety and depression (is this why she does not want to go?)

- friendship issues

- bullying

- boredom

- tiredness (wanting to sleep in)

- fear

- lack of motivation

There can be so many other reasons for school refusal, or it can be a mix of a few reasons. It might be worth trying to work out the WHY (if you haven't already).

You may be interested in reading of this young person's account to see if you can relate to what they are sharing:

Georgia's Story - too anxious to go to school 

You can also have a look at this fact sheet on how to cope with anxiety and school.

You daughter is welcome to connect with:

ReachOut Peer Chat https://au.reachout.com/peerchat

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 https://kidshelpline.com.au/

Headspace https://headspace.org.au/

Also, have you ever discussed your concerns with your doctor? This might be worth doing if you haven't already - just to get a bit of guidance?

We look forward to hearing how you go and whether you are able to get any supports in place for your daughter.

Active scribe
Butterflymagic

Hi ,single mum here to 17 yr old son

adhd, dyslexia, dyscalculiar, dysgraghia , chromosone 19 duplication

Looking to talk to other parents

I have multiple health issues

I live in a small country town

No friends, no family support

Prolific scribe
Chloe-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @Butterflymagic ,

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing what is happening for you right now. It must be difficult to live in a small rural town and not have the support of family and friends while caring for your son.

It is understandable that you are reaching out and wanting to connect with people who may be able to offer some insight, share experiences, and perhaps help you feel less alone in all this. We read that you also have your own health issues. 

Have you ever visited this link to various disability advocacy and support groups? You may be able to find something online or in your area.

I know you mentioned you do not have any active supports at the moment. Is it possible for you to get any respite support for your son? 

At the same time, do you have anyone you can speak to, even over the phone, to support your own wellbeing? You may be interested in:

ARFMI Carers 1300 554 660

Carer Gateway 1800 422 737 https://www.carergateway.gov.au/

Please take care and look after yourself. 

Active scribe
Butterflymagic

@Chloe-RO  Ive tried carers tas, cant find any 1 there to chat with

Have tried to reach out to other groups but again to no avail

Mod
Stormy-RO

Hi @Butterflymagic I'm sorry to hear you haven't been successful in finding support through these groups. It sounds like you've been doing everything you can to connect. Do you have any current supports, such as a GP or psychologist that you've been in contact with previously?

Active scribe
Butterflymagic

@Stormy-RO just feel like I cant get any support no matter where I turn to

Doctors ,ndis, mental health support

Nothing is out there to help me