Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Prolific scribe
Luula

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Welcome to ReachOut Parents @Mamma. Please feel free to introduce yourself or answer the questions above. 

Casual scribe
Andiema

Hi my name is Andrea single mom of 18 yr old son on his own now and 13 year old daughter in crisis. I'm currently in a day seminar Navigating Teen Mental Health to learn how to communicate with her and help her and myself through this.
Casual scribe
Andiema

Hi

Hi my name is Andrea single mom of 18 yr old son on his own now and 13 year old daughter in crisis. I'm currently in a day seminar Navigating Teen Mental Health to learn how to communicate with her and help her and myself through this.
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Andiema Welcome to Reach Out.

I've posted a hello here but I can't suggest others answer these questions if I haven't done it yet myself. Smiley Wink

1. 23,13,6 - The other day my 6 year old son was playing with another kid at the park and he stopped and said to the boy "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

I thought that was pretty funny. 
2. Breathing is my go to when things are getting stressful. Long, slow, breaths. Then focusing on my breath. That usually gives me enough pause to de-escalate enough.
3. I'm happily reading posts and learning how amazing everyone is.
4. Remembering what it was like for me has made a big impact on my parenting. Actively reminding myself what it felt like to be a teenager has really helped me decide how to approach things.
5. Staying in pyjamas all day. The kids and I call them 'lazy days'. And we have them so often we could probably just rename them 'weekends'.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Hi

Hey @Andiema

I noticed your use of Mom. Is it possible you're based in North America?

As you may have realised, Reach Out Parents is an Australian service.

You're very welcome here, it's very difficult when we have a child in crisis, so any support you get from RO is wonderful, you just may find something local has more relevance to you.

How was the seminar? Did it provide you with some good tips?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

It's wonderful to have you here. Please feel free to jump in here and introduce yourselves. Smiley Happy 

Image result for welcome

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

We'd love an opportunity to meet you and get to know you. So please feel free to say hi here and

answer the questions below. Or just say Hi! It's completely up to you.

Time for new questions.

1. how many kids you care for and their ages?
  2. what's the biggest concern in your life right now?
  3. your favourite way to treat yo'self?
  4. what's one thing your kid has taught you recently?
  5. what's one question you have for us?

giphy

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Welcome to ReachOut Parents!!  @debbie100  @Gterry  @Carmel 

Hellooooo!

If you can, please take a moment to say hi and answer these questions: 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Welcome to ReachOut Parents, @MargaretMary & @Graeme !!

welcome classic film come come here norma shearer

We'd love to know about you both. If you have the time, how about giving these questions a go?

Casual scribe
Graeme

1. I have only one son and he's 18 in March.Until recently, he used to spend one week at my place and one at his mother's. He apparently had some sort of depressive episode and a couple of weeks later he decided to stay permanently at his Mum's and haven't seen him since. Doesn't reply to texts or emails, but has been visiting my sister. Has moved his stuff from my place when I'm not home without letting me know. 

2. I worry he doesn't like me any more. I have depression myself and initially my counselor just said this behaviour is just him moving away to look after himself. Only thing recent events which I won't go into suggest he has big problems with me. My counselor and i agree that I just start looking after myself and get on without factoring him into my decisions. At nearly 18, he should take responsibility for his actions.

I'm also still recovering from aortic valve replacement due to endocarditis. So that is still a concern in my life. I have torn my hamstring 2 days before Xmas which limits my ability to exercise and therefore fight depression at the moment.

3. I am on a very low income at the moment so there are not many opportunities to treat myself. I suppose I ride a bike, swim and run.

4. I feel betrayed by my son at the moment. I don't suppose that is a positive thing to say he taught me

5. Not sure if I have any questions at the moment. It's just waiting to see what the future brings and dealing with it as it comes