Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Hello! Welcome to ReachOut Parents!

If you're here because you're following the link given to you at a batyr forum then Yay!

Thank you for joining us. We're very happy to have you. 

To get started, you only need to do 3 quick things:

1. Sign Up - don't forget to create a username that isn't your first or last name. Click here
  2. Walkthrough - because forums are new to many we've made a quick video. It's here.
  3. Say Hi - if it's discussion time then jump in here, if not, then say Hi here.       

batyr logo.png

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Reminder to anyone watching this space that this discussion is on tonight!!

It starts at 8 PM AEST and we will have the amazing @dom-batyr joining us.

He is from batyr and will be co-facilitating the conversation with us tonight.

Can't wait to see you there!!

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains a video

Thanks for having me RO.com Smiley Happy

My name is Dom and I am batyr's School Program Manager and we're currently working with around 170 schools across Australia (Mainly East Coast).

So, a bit of background on batyr for those who may not already know:

batyr is a for purpose organisation that focuses on preventative education in the area of youth mental health. batyr provides programs that train young people to speak about their personal experience with mental ill health and start a conversation in their community. 

Last night we ran a wonderful Parent Forum at Ruyton Girls School where the parents heard from Sam Refshauge (batyr CEO) Georgie Harman (Beyond Blue CEO) and one of our wonderful speakers Genesis. 

Sam shared some background on batyr and highlighted why we exist as well as giving the parent some tips for supporting young people.

Georgie shared resources Beyond Blue offer and tips for supporting young people.

Genesis shared how it was dealing with anxiety & panic attacks. The pressure she put on herself to deal with it on her own and the massive difference that was made when she was finally able to share the burden with her friends & family.

We also ran a Q&A to allow parents to get some more info on issues they were dealing with / experiencing.

One question was: "How do you know when the difference between normal teenage behaviour & mental health challenges?"

Georgie answered by stating: "Often we over diagnose and it can be unhelpful to label kids and put them in a box however the important thing to focus on is providing a supportive environment no matter what the issue is"

Looking forward to spending some time with you tonight,

Dom

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @dom-batyr, I'm looking forward to tonight's chat. I think your organisation is fabulous and I love the encouragement and skills batyr offers to our youth. A big thumbs up!

Prolific scribe
taziness

Hello, just checking, is the conversation happening here? Or is there another 'venue', ie. batyr website?

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Special Guest
dom-batyr

Thanks @taokat

A big thumbs up for sharing that with us Smiley Happy

Looking forward to tonights chat also!

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Happening here Smiley Happy
Super star contributor
taokat

Thank you for confirming. I wasn't sure if I was in the right place for tonight's chat Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

@dom-batyr, I'm sure it's not relevant to tonight's chat, but was wondering what kind of volunteering positions are available at batyr?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hey @taokat Can I get your permission to share your contact details with Dom and he'll send you details on volunteering?