Need help now?

I really don't know how to help my 16 year old son. He lies and skips school continuously.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

I really don't know how to help my 16 year old son. He lies and skips school continuously.

Scribe
Helpless

I don't know what to do to get through to my 16 year old.  I feel he is going off the deep end....  His flip in behavior started 3 months ago.  He lies continuously, skips school, has been in a car accident though he didn't tell us about it we found out through the school.  He sits in his room and when we confront him he cries and says he doesn't know what is going on.  He takes all for granite.  If you give him $10 he expects $20.  Had a meeting with the school regarding his absences and they offer to provide counseling to him.  Hopefully this works. 

Contributor
Nick-RO

Re: I really don't know how to help my 16 year old son. He lies and skips school continuously.

Hi @Helpless and welcome to the forums!

Just a quick note that it sounds like you are not from Australia (where we are based) so we can't recommend any specific resources but in saying that you have come to the right place to get support and hear from other parents!

Thank you so much for sharing your story here - I am so sorry to hear how tough things are for you and your son at the moment.  It is really difficult to see your son in pain like this.  I was heartened by the fact that your school has suggested counselling which sounds like a really useful first step.  Have you had a chat with your son about how he feels around this?

Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Schooner

Re: I really don't know how to help my 16 year old son. He lies and skips school continuously.

Hi @Helpless,

I'm a parent like you with a son who has been through hell and is coming out of it. Obviously you want to get some professional advice, but as a parent I would be worried about drugs if the change happened really quickly. Otherwise crying and spending too much time in his room might be a mental health issue. Maybe he is avoiding something (life?) or maybe he is depressed (my son did that when he was depressed). Either way it sounds like he needs help quickly.

I found the school counsellors were OK for minor problems (especially school related) and for flagging problems. In our experience they could not provide the support our son needed (although they tried). They can also have an obligation to the school as well as the student, and this can become a conflict of interest (which not all of them handle well).

I'd start with a visit to your G.P. If he won't go then go on his behalf and have a chat about options with the Dr. I would tell my son if I did that so he knows what is going on.

Take care of yourself, it is terribly hard work.

Cheers