Need help now?

My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Active scribe
vallyval

Re: My 14 Year old son has cut himself off from everyone

Just dropping in with an update. I've had a couple of opportunities to talk with my son to reinforce how much he is loved and cared for. Whilst im still not 100% sure of what has been worrying him, he has been much better. I'm not sure of what has been the catalyst but he has been more interactive and communicative over the last few days. I am reinforcing the fact that i am always here fo him and that i enjoy having the old him back.

Thanks for you support. I'll keep in touch.

Highlighted
Contributor
readthemanual

@vallyval That is good news! Congratulations on your progress!

Yes, it is so important for young people to know that even if they sometimes might not feel the need, parents are always there to support them.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Mitzi

Really happy to hear about this progress. You are doing a great thing: letting him know he is loved even when sometimes they are not so lovable! And sounds like he is responding very positively to the security he feels he has with you.. Sure there'll still be days when communication fails or some outside trigger stirs things up but you are both trying now for the same outcomes.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Thanks so much for updating us, this is wonderful to hear...
Frequent scribe
Xena__

Great news. Thanks so much for checking back in.
Well done
As Mitzie said, He may revert some days but this is very positive news.
Keep up the good work 😄
Super frequent scribe
HalleysComet

Thanks @vallyval for the update... This can give us all hope... One step at a time (and there might be bumps on the road) but change is possible
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Great to hear you'll keep in touch @vallyval - please do!
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink
I was just thinking also, I wonder if you asked him to check out this page from our youth site to see if he related to it? http://au.reachout.com/im-always-sad

Or asked him if he was interested in talking to someone objective like a counselor? (he could do it online with eHeadspace webchat even...)
Active scribe
vallyval

Thanks @Sophie-RO. I will definately send him the link and tell him about headspace. Even though things are much better at the moment, It can't hurt.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Could even be a better opportunity to do it now @vallyval while he's doing a bit better, it could help him maintain this better state of mental health - an exercise in prevention... Good luck