Need help now?

Teenage drug use

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

Re: Teenage drug use

Hi @Sallyanne

I am sorry you guys are going through this.  It feels so helpless when are kids are going the wrong direction an we know it.  I have a  15 year old daughter that smokes pot even though she knows it could lead to addiction and I do not approve- I have had the talk with her that if she were to wind up in jail due to a bad choice I would leave her there.  Still not sure it sinks in.  

You are doing awesome setting boundaries and sticking by them- I know its so difficult to do.  Especially when you know the grief you get from your teen from doing so.  Sometimes I guess all we can do is guide them but ultimately its there choice.  

Sometimes I wish my kid was 3 again. Even those tantrums would be more welcome.

Active scribe
Sallyanne

Update:- I’ve found another packet of cannabis buds in his dirty washing today. I’ve validated his feelings have told him I understand why he uses but can’t condone It and if I find any in the house it will be destroyed! He told me he’s been doing it for over year and doesn’t plan to stop! I’ve told him I can’t physically stop him when he’s not at home and have talked about psycosis and criminal records, he doesn’t care!!! I have explained that there will be no driving lessons/car if he still uses as it will endanger other people’s lives, I’ve also removed guys door from his bedroom and not set the house alarm so he can’t go outside..... is there anything else I can do? I feels like I’m loosing him Smiley Sad
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Hey @Sallyanne, I am so sorry this sounds incredibly upsetting. It's good that you can at least get rid of what is in your home. When you say you're preventing him from leaving the house, what do you mean? Here to listen. Heart

Active scribe
Sallyanne

Thanks breeze xx he was sneaking out in the middle of the night. I now set the burglar alarm and he doesn't know the code so they will go off if he attempts to go down stairs. I have removed the bedroom door now so I can monitor him more closely. I haven't smelt cannabis for a few days. I'm not daft I know that he will continue but it won't be in my home!

Super contributor
Taylor-RO

That sounds like a really tough situation to manage @Sallyanne! How has your son felt about the alarm and having no bedroom door? How have you been coping through all of this as I imagine it would be very stressful and frustrating at the best of times?
Active scribe
Sallyanne

Thanks xx he's got used to the alarm. He moaned about the door for a few days.... he had an en suite for privacy when changing... I've actually had more interaction with him of late!

Highlighted
Star contributor
Breez-RO

@Sallyanne this is sounding positive. How have the interactions been between the both of you lately? Sounding like the boundaries are proving beneficial which is awesome Smiley Happy