Need help now?

dont know where to turn with my 14yr daughter

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
punky70

i have a 14 yr old daughter who is very troubled and going off the rails and dont know where to turn social services cant help nor my daughters councillor or dad she lives with dad

Contributor
Nick-RO

Re: dont know where to turn with my 14yr daughter

Hi @punky70 and welcome to the forums!  I am so glad you found us here.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through some tough times at the moment.  My heart goes out to you that you feel like nothing is working at the moment.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you say that your daughter is 'going off the rails'?  Is there some behaviour that is concerning you?

Casual scribe
punky70

my daughter is 14 and lives with her dad due to going through court she has been in care but now lives with dad and she skives school mix with the wrong crowd and shoplifts and spitting on cars and not goin home and she do not tell her dad where she is going and stays out all night with a friend but this weekend it was all weekend and had police out looking for her. im at my wits end and dont know what to do for the best

Super frequent scribe
Danielle-RO

Hi @punky70 very sorry to hear what happened over the weekend. It must have been terrible to have to have the police involved in looking for your daughter. I can see how you would feel at your wits end.

I'm going to tag in some of our parent peer supporters to offer any helpful advice and wisdom they may have: @taokat @Beingme2017 @Chalke5 @Zoesplace

And lastly, please remember to take some time to look after yourself. Self-care is really important to help you be at your best for both you and your daughter.

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @punky70, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is going through a tough time and that nothing is working. 

Can I just check what you have tried just so we don't offer the same suggestions? You talk about social services, your daughter's counsellor and her dad as not being able to help.

I can imagine how stressful this must be for you. I see you're in the UK, so unfortunately none of our referrals will be relevant, but we can still support you as a parent, as that's universal! Could you speak with your daughter's counsellor about what other services are available that might be able to help?