Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Daughter came out to me last night

Active scribe
MamaC80
Solved!

Daughter came out to me last night

Hi all
IM a single mum to 4 girls, 15,13,10 and 6
My 10 year old came out to me last night that she likes girls. I’ve been all over the net trying to get my head around it, we had a good discussion last night and I told her no matter who she likes it will never change how much I love her. It’s a big thing for her to tell me and she’s mentally exhausted, has come home from school early too.

Accepted Solutions
Active scribe
Daynada05
Solution

Re: Daughter came out to me last night

Hi There, my daughter told me that when she was 11. My initial thought was that she was too young to know for sure but same as you I said it's ok and whoever you like I will still and always love and support you. I think it's alot more accepting now these days. We haven't spoken again about it. She's now 12. I keep thinking of bringing it up again just to check in. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Active scribe
Daynada05
Solution

Hi There, my daughter told me that when she was 11. My initial thought was that she was too young to know for sure but same as you I said it's ok and whoever you like I will still and always love and support you. I think it's alot more accepting now these days. We haven't spoken again about it. She's now 12. I keep thinking of bringing it up again just to check in. 

Active scribe
MamaC80

She’s been to the chaplain today and feels better after speaking to her.
I’m just gonna let her take the lead I think, if she wants to see a therapist then I’ll take her but I don’t wanna force her. One day at a time

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hi @MamaC80,

Just letting you know that I have moved your topic of discussion into a new thread so that more people will be able to see it and respond.

I think you did a great job handling things with your daughter, and giving her that space to choose about what she thinks will be most helpful for her moving forward. I'm sure that you've really increased your daughter's trust in you!

@Daynada05 Thanks for pitching in with your own experiences, too! It can be hard to know when to bring up something or let it rest, but it's great that she knows that no matter what she is feeling you are providing a safe, non-judgmental place for her to talk about.

Highlighted
Active scribe
MamaC80

Thanks for your kind words, she came home mentally drained but in good spirits and went camping with her dad for the weekend