Need help now?

Do traumatic news stories upset your teenager?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Some young people get more affected by traumatic world events than others. 

Sometimes it's simply a sign of a caring personality or maybe a mature understanding of the state of the world.

But what do you do if you've got a young person who is acutely attuned to sad news stories? Maybe they lose sleep over terrorist attacks or they get visibly distressed when they talk about people starving or animal testing.

What's the best way to manage that? Reach Out and Twitter recently partnered to discuss ways of supporting young people to cope with the barrage of negative news stories. Read about it

Reach Out and Twitter recently partnered to discuss ways of supporting young people to cope with the barrage of negative news stories. Read about it here.

And here's some steps you can take if you or your teenager feel affected by traumatic events.

Do you talk to your teenager about world events?

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Re: Do traumatic news stories upset your teenager?

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Ngaio-RO Smiley Happy I'm so happy I just came across this post with fantastic links about how I can help my teens cope with all of the terrible news we're confronted with so often nowadays. I try to protect them by not having rolling news coverage of traumatic stories on our TV (when something terrible has happened and its all over every channel) but due to social media it's in their faces anyway.

I especially like this article ...http://au.reachout.com/understanding-terrorism . It had me with "It might seem like terrorism is a new phenomenon, but in reality it’s existed for 2000 years." Thanks for sharing these!