Need help now?

What high school year should my 13 year old go into?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Bloempje

Our son was born in May 2006.
He was bright and keen to learn, yet socially a little immature. Our local Qld primary school recommended we commence him in Prep at age 4. He enjoyed school, got great academic results but remained socially slightly immature.

He started year 7 in Qld at age 11. After 6 months of high school we moved to Victoria where we placed him in the Victorian equivalent for 11-12 year olds, being Year 6, for the remaining 6 months of the year. He has now progressed to Year 7, high school, along with his 12-13 year old Victorian peers. We are moving back to Qld next year and need to prepare for his return to Qld education. Would he enter year 9 in 2020 (where his former classmates are) or should he be in Year 8?

He hasn't been bored at his Victorian high school school and academically seems to be exactly where he needs to be. He is achieving A and B grading for all subjects, but is still quite playful and nowhere near adolescence.

We would appreciate your views as to whether to enroll him in Year 8 or Year 9 in 2020. He will be 13 years old.
Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

Re: What high school year should my 13 year old go into?

Hi @Bloempje 

this one is a tricky question as school is about more than just learning the academics.  It is also about social development.   It can be very hard on younger academically advanced kids to fit in socially with older children especially if "he is still quite playful and nowhere near adolescence"

Does he excel at certain subjects ?  Could he take advance subject or two whilst remaining in the lower grade?  Maybe the school has mixed grade classes, going into to be in 8/9 class would be possible? 

I would suggest that going to the school and having this discussion would be the best approach for your son's specific situation.  Find out what they offer for academically advanced kids - I am sure they can work with you to customise the path for your son.

The other thing to consider here is what happens at the end of highschool.  How old will he be?

If he goes into year 9 at 13 he is looking at graduating at 16.

When my son was looking at graduating high school at 16, we talked with the school.

They ended up being extending his time at Highschool doing "Year 13" which they offered to advanced students.  In that year they could take additional Year 12 subjects or external studies before entering University and remain with their peer age group.

So I guess in summary I come back to what I said earlier 

I would suggest that going to the school and having this discussion would be the best approach for your son's specific situation.

gina-Ro

Hey there @Bloempje  - welcome to the Reachout parents forum! 

Tough decision to make deciding which year group to put your son into when you move back to Qld - sounds like there are some positives to being in the lower grade for his social skills? 

What the pros and cons of both? 

Have you had a chat with him about if he has a preference, or what his feeling is on the matter? 

Hoping some parents from Qld will weigh in too  - Im sure this is a decision many parents have trouble making when moving between these states! 

Highlighted
JAKGR8

Just really quickly, I would put him into lower year level. He can tell his friends moving intestate stuffed him up if he likes. It gives him time to mature, less pressure to achieve and means that he definitely has missed anything academically. In Qld he would be year 8 anyway. If he does get bored that you and the school can challenge him in other ways. The beauty of high school is the different structures and available programs.
Also moving during the school year ensures he is identified by the staff and students as 'new' so he will get the extra attention and support needed. Good luck.
JA