Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Prolific scribe
Lan-RO

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Smiley Happy

Scribe
Hope_-5

I am a weary mother of 3 teenage children.  My 16 yr old daughter has exhibited signs of depression for many years  .  My mother, brother and my aunt all have depression although my latest therapist is trying to convince me that depression does not run in families.  To answer the introduction questions:

1.-In addition to my daughter, I have 2 sons-14 and 13 yrs.   My 13 yr old is quite "happy go lucky" and has promised me that he will be nice to me now that he is a teenager!!

2. I cope by running.  Some mornings I run until it hurts to breathe!  Being at work also helps.

3.I came to this forum because I haven't really met any other parents who understand the magnitude of the challenges that are present when dealing with a depressed teen.  I am also becoming quite jealous of friends who have successful, motivated teens.    Well-meaning friends tell me I am not disciplining my daughter properly.

4. Don't come to me for ANY parenting advice is the best advice I can give!

5.The best thing about weekends is I usually have to work and I have a few close friends at work that I can confide in with regards to my daughter's behavior. 

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

Welcome to the forum @Hope_-5! Thank you so much for your introduction and letting us get to know a litlte more about you Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's issues. I so get why you've come here to talk to parents who get it. It can become quite isolating as it's difficult for other to understand unless they have been through similar. I've never said this to anyone, but I am jealous of others who have 'normal' teens too. That really stood out to me, so thank you for sharing. 

Exercise is a fantastic way to cope. Gets the frustrations out for a little while and gets those happy hormones flowing. 

If you'd like to get some support on any issues, feel free to start a new topic from the page here.

We look forward to supporting you in the forum Smiley Happy

Contributor
Sister

Hi @Hope_-5,

Welcome to this forum. I hope you find it as beneficial as I have.

Depression is debilitating so your daughter is fortunate to have such a caring mum. The fact that you have other family members who have this condition might help for your daughter to not feel so alone. Does she talk to them about it?

Depression is often called "the common cold" of psychiatry, however there are different degrees and they are all treatable. You as the carer are doing a wonderful job. Just the fact that you have taken the time to introduce yourself and briefly discuss your issues is a sure sign that you care.

Like yourself and @taokat, I also wish for "normality" for my teenager. However.....for some reason our children and us are all meant to go through these experiences.

Connecting through this forum helps us parents/carers to not feel so alone with it all.

Scribe
MummaMel

Hi all Smiley Happy 
I found this forum today whilst searching the web for advice on first girlfriends.
I am a solo mumma to 5 sons, aged from 2 years old to 14 years old. My eldest two are teenagers (14 and 13) and I'm feeling a bit out of my comfort zone. I am much better with the under five age group LOL

I try and get out a lot with my kids, we do quite a lot of playgroups and they do a few extra curricular activities. This keeps me happy as I get to hang out with my kids and my friends. Win win! I also love to play an online game some nights when they're all sleeping, and I love to read though I find less time to do that at the moment.

I'm searching the site today because I found out that my son (who is 13 next week) has a new girlfriend. He's in his first year of high school and mature for his age so I knew it was coming, but I admit I thought I had a little more time. 
My tip for parents about to enter teen hood... hold on and try and enjoy the ride. It's not all hormones and fights. There's so many amazing things about teenagers. The humor, the love, watching them grow into amazing people. I love it. 

The best thing about weekends is no school, no stress, and lots of family time! 
I look forward to reading, learning, and getting to know you all.

Star contributor
Breez-RO

Hey @MummaMel welcome to the forum! So stoked to learn a bit about you Smiley Happy Feel free to start a thread if you would like some support around your son entering into this relationship - we're all here to listen. Heart

Super star contributor
taokat

Hey @MummaMel, welcome to ReachOut! Thanks for sharing with us a little about yourself and your kids. You sound like a really loving mum - I love your tip for parents entering the teen years with their kids. 

I look forward to seeing you around the forum Smiley Happy

Active scribe
Ilovemichael

D
Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Hey I’m Kerry and I’m 36 and have a 15 year old son. Myself I am quite glam in how I present myself because I love having my fake tan and nails done kinda thing. The most funny thing with my son lately would be when I went up to him and ask him to pull my finger and did this go awful fart 😂😂😂
Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

hi @Kerry36 welcome to the forums! Glad you found us. 
I can see you've found your way around the forums in the week since you joined - so great to have you! 
It's good to hear you and your son have that humour in your relationship!! 😂