Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey guys, would love to hear what you think about this webinar idea - click this link for more info. Reply to the thread to let me know. Cheers!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hello to new members @SparkyMark and @Cogan - tell us more about why you are here on RO Parents?

Would love to know\
1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Cheers
Active scribe
Sadie

Hi, I'm a p/t student with 3 children - 18, 17 and 12. I homeschool my 12 year old as well. I'm here because my eldest daughter has recently been diagnosed with major depression, just looking for tips and support in being a support to her.
Contributor
Mitzi

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Sadie and welcome to ReachOut Parents. It can feel overwhelming to be told that our child (at whatever age) has a serious illness. We are an open and supportive bunch, with experience in many areas of helping our teenagers deal with the challenges of this stage of their lives.

For some advice to help with your eldest, try this link on supporting a teenager with depression.

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

Hello Sadie! Welcome. What are you studying? It is wonderful to see you here. What strategies has your daughter used to help with her depression? AmyJay

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Active scribe
Sadie

Thanks Mitzi, will check out the link.
Highlighted
Active scribe
Sadie

Hi AmyJay, I'm actually doing my final subject in a Graduate Diploma of Psychology.

Dd is trialling meds ( just in the first fortnight of this) and is seeing a psychologist for CBT. She's currently experiencing suicidal thoughts, and a lot of problems with cognitive fog.

Dd is using communication with me as one of her strategies ( lots of chats but also weekly check ins re suicidal thoughts/plans). She's also doing a great job at keeping her sleep cycle regular. She's done awesomely at seeking out professional help and staying committed to appointments.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey @Sadie - so happy to have you here! Go have some great experiences and strengths to share!

Active scribe
dont-lose-hope

Hi my name is Lee!!!

I have a 14year old daughter, a 15 year old foster daughter and a 17 year old nephew who live with me. They are great kids and so far there are way more good times than not so great. Definately challenging at times and constantly need to stop and check what kind of parent I want to be and what am I trying to teach them...argghhh!!!

I keep a close eye on my stress levels now as this can trigger anxiety in me. I enjoy all happy moments with gratitude and if I feel stress levels increasing then I take myself to a quiet place or do something that relaxs me (movie;shower and pamper time;meal out; reading).

A facebook topic led me to this place and I am open to giving and receiving knowledge on hard topics.

Tips for parents with teenagers?? A sense of humor; faith that you have probably already taught them the things they need to know and patience when having to repeat things a million times!!! Remember they are just teenagers and not adults yet so they are going to make STACKS of mistakes even though they think they have all the answers!!!

I love the weekends - the kids always have someone coming over or we go do things together. Lots of laughs and somehow the jobs get done...most of the time!!

Looking forward to having discussions.

Bye for now : )

Active scribe
dont-lose-hope

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Hey there @waldo_pepper,
Good reading your comments and I am not the only one to have shared some of the awful experiences with self harm. with my kids. Its been a really tough road but I agree that unconditional love and understanding and listening to them has really helped. Good parents rock so you and I are not alone!!!