Need help now?

Wednesday Wrap The Third!! What is Mindfullness?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Wednesday Wrap The Third!! What is Mindfullness?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Wednesday Wrap The Third!! What is Mindfullness?

That makes perfect sense, thank you @Emily_May

To take it just one step further, in that kind of scenario, would practising mindfulness mean we engage with the young person without thinking what tomorrow might bring and staying only in the moment?

I'm thinking in terms of safety plans etc. A lot of the standard approaches seem steeped in history or future.

Special Guest
Emily_May

Thanks @taziness - we sometimes need to be reminded by mantras that quickly re-orientate ourselves. I like the image of dropping down to the still place at the bottom of the ocean, watching the stormy waves crash above without being tossed around by them. 

Special Guest
Emily_May

@Ngaio-RO - Yes, staying in the present moment with a young person in serious distress is so important. this sends the message that no matter how big and scary the situation, that you can be there for them in it. Once the distress has settled, the emotions have calmed down and the young person can better access the 'CEO' part of their brain, then something like safety planning can come in handy. But the best safety planning of all is helping young people 'ride out' difficult emotions, reach out for help and stay connected to what matters to them

Prolific scribe
taziness

Ooh I like that. Can you recommend some visually guided meditations? I think we"re all enjoying those at the moment! Apps, authors or websites or yourself?!
eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super star contributor
taokat

I love the idea of mantras as reminders.

Special Guest
Emily_May

@taziness - the Smiling Mind and Headspace apps are a great starting point. other apps include 'relax and rest' and 'simply being' which help provide guided mediation and mindfulness exercises. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's wonderful @Emily_May Thank you for that. I think that will be very helpful for a lot of parents.

Ok, last questions people. @taokat @LovingThruBlue @taziness @motherbear

Special Guest
Emily_May

Dan siegal is a great thought leader around mindfulness and young people and his book 'brainstorm' is a great resource. 

Super star contributor
taokat

That's it isn't @Emily_May - showing them that we can cope with whatever they come to us in need of help with. Fantastic tips!!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Am I right in remembering you don't like Smiling Minds @taziness

I'm keen to find others too as I'm sure there must be others like yourself.