Need help now?

Frustrated mum needing some guidance

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frustrated mum needing some guidance

Highlighted
Contributor
motherbear

Re: Frustrated mum needing some guidance

Hi Ben thanks for that you might want to delete the one that has reappeared now as it says vertually the same as my second one . We had problems with internet connection on the weekend so it may have glitched out due to that . Cheers
Super star contributor
taokat

I could have been clearer in my comment @Ngaio-RO, as your last comment is so true, and the reason I had police involvement. Safety is paramount for the family, and my daughter used to be extremely violent and destructive, and as you say, that behaviour is not okay, and our kids need to learn their boundaries around what is unacceptable behaviour. 

I don't think I was very clear about why police became so involved with us. It does seem harsh, but it is necessary at times. My daughter had a meltdown after her birthday and was smashing up her room. I had to give a warning that I'd need to call the police if she didn't stop destroying things, and she did settle down. She knows it's not an empty warning, and it is a boundary she knows is fixed and definite. 

When there is calm again, is when the communication happens. 

I'm glad you raised it Ngaio, as it is very important. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

I believe @taokat you've illustrated exactly how and when police being involved is beneficial for everyone.
No parents wants to do it but it's essential young people learn the true consequences of their actions.
Super star contributor
taokat

It really is @Ngaio-RO, because if we don't teach them now, they grow into adults who behave the same, and the consequences are far more serious than being sectioned under the mental health act. 

It is a hard thing to do as a parent, and our kids aren't bad kids, but there are safer ways for them to behave, and they will learn that with our ongoing love and support, and being taught different coping methods.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

I absolutely agree @taokat

How are things @mumof3