Need help now?

11 year old son has told me his bisexual

Casual scribe
Supportivemama

My 11 year old son came out to me this week and told me his bisexual. He told me he likes a boy in his class and that this is the first time he has ever felt like this about a boy.
I’m very supportive of him and have always brought him up to feel he can be whoever he wants and that he can speak to me or his dad about anything.
This is all so new for me and I’m just wondering if any parents have dealt with their kids coming out so young.
Thank you
Mod
TOM-RO

Re: 11 year old son has told me his bisexual

Hi @Supportivemama ,

Firstly, it's so incredible to hear that you're supportive. It can definitely be a really confusing time as kids go into puberty and really start to explore all there is. I want to highlight how wonderful it is that your son felt comfortable in telling you. It means they have so much trust, and that's a testament to you being a great mother.

Secondly, I can't speak from personal experience around dealing with the circumstance, but I'm curious, what kind of questions do you feel are in your headspace? Raising children, as I'm sure you know, is a very fluid process, and there's no objectively right way in parenting. But it can definitely feel confusing. Have you and their dad talked about it?

Sounds like quite a journey, but I'm sure you'll show love every step of the way. 

Casual scribe
Supportivemama

Hi @TOM-RO,

Thank you for the reply.

I guess I’m just curious on what other parents experiences have been. I sometimes feel like his still too young, but to be honest I feel like I have always known.

My husband and I have spoken about it all and I think his just a little in shock still hasn’t quiet wrapped his brain around it all. But his a great dad open minded I think his biggest worry is how others will treat him. The world unfortunately is not always a great place and people aren’t always open minded I guess as a parent you just always worry and want to protect your kids.
Mod
Sophia-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Supportivemama I can understand your concerns about your son and how others might treat him and think that this shows how caring and supportive you are of your son. It is really awesome to hear that his dad is open minded and supportive too Smiley Happy.

I also understand your desire to want to hear about some other parent's experiences, so I have looked through and found some posts that you might find to be helpful. Here is a thread about supporting teens with their sexuality and here is a thread from a parent who's daughter has let them know they are pansexual. Hope this helps! 

Moderator Hours

This forum is moderated from

09:00AM to 11:00PM

We are not a counselling or crisis service and we can't guarantee you'll get a reply, so if you need to talk now

Click here for help

The current time is Thu, 2:47 AM
(Australian Eastern time)