Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
SummerSunshine

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hello, my name is April. I a mum to three beautiful children, Rebacca, Matthew and my youngest Astridlora who has Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I'm here looking for some help and advice for two of my children, Matthew and Astridlora who are both facing difficult problems at the moment. I just don't want to appear like I'm burdening my problems onto you all.

Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hello April @SummerSunshine  and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are in the right place for talking about the problems you are facing in regards to your family. This is a community of parents sharing their stories and asking for help and support so please don't feel like you are burdening anyone Smiley Happy Looking forward to seeing some good discussions! 

Active scribe
Stepmum34

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?

My stepkids are 10, 12, 14, and 21. The youngest always makes me giggle when she's being goofy.

2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?

I'm still getting used to the whole parenting thing. Being a step parent is a lot harder than you imagine it to be! We only have the kids one weekend out of 2, but I try to make sure that I have some me time while they are around. Even if it's just chilling in the bedroom for a Sunday afternoon nap for an hour.

3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?

I need help! Like I said the step parent thing is new and full of emotions and changes I did not expect. There are also exceptionally few resources available to step parents and I"m hoping to find some people on here who have been through what I'm going through now.

4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?

Sorry I don't have one of these yet - I'll let you know when I do!

5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

When we have the kids - watching them enjoy getting comfy in our new home. When we don't have the kids - getting my partner all to myself!

Casual scribe
KaylaS80

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
I have twins, 16, a boy and girl, and my youngest daughter who is 9. I was sick in bed a week ago and they brought me breakfast and sang me a song Smiley Happy.
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
Alone time, reading, walking, working in the garden.
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
Teens can be troublesome, hoping to find other parents and get advice!
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
Be as honest with them as you want them to be with you. 
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Not having to worry about the office!

Contributor
Bre-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @KaylaS80 and @Stepmum34 - I just wanted to stop by to welcome you to the forums and thank you for already sharing about your families. 

Also wanted to encourage you both to feel free to share more about yourselves if you're comfortable to do so. If you click here a link will take you to the page used to create a new post. 

Contributor
Bre-RO

I just wanted to stop by to formally welcome the newest members of ReachOut parent forums. 

@Lijay 

@MangroveJack 

@bygrace84 

@Madhans 

@Lostinchaos 

Thank you all for joining the community - if you feel comfortable introduce yourself! 

Highlighted
Scribe
DSmum

1. Girl - 13 (everything she does makes me laugh she is lovely) and Boy - almost 16 (sadly nothing to laugh at here)

2. Exercise and baking

3. My almost 16 yr old mostly refuses to attend school and every day feels like a battle

4. Engage and listen

5. No fight to get my son out of bed 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

Hi @DSmum 

Welcome

Being a parent is can be a struggle especially in the early to mid teens!

If there is any thing you want to ask feel free.. or just browse the forums you might find someone else has been/going through similar challenges

p.s.  what are we baking this weekend... I probably going to be making some sausage rolls over the weekend..  Good old Aussie style

Casual scribe
Dot000

Hi there!
1) 3 kids aged 17,9 & 7. They all make me laugh in different ways. All quirky and witty.
2) Destress by getting out in the sun, talking with friends, meditation and wine.
3) What led me to Reach out is that I’m at a crisis point with my 17 year old and I no longer know how to handle the ongoing issues. I feel as though I have nothing left to give.
4) Self care and self love. Love! Expect the unexpected. Seek advice early and keep an open mind.
5) Great pay for shift work and lazy sleep ins followed by time outdoors.
Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8

Welcome @Dot000 . Hopefully you will find some support here. I have a 17yo girl at the moment. Thankfully she listens to her father.

Personally, I think shift work sucks as hubby never seems to be home when we are. Sleep though, sleep is great.

JA