Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Casual scribe
wallaby52

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi . I have 2 children, a daughter 12 years old and a son 15 years old.

Sadly we don't laugh as much as we should with the kids. This is something we need to work on, ie my husband and I.

I love watching my son enjoy playing basketball and amazed at what my daughter can do on the netball court.

Scribe
pinkbeats48

Hi there guys, just found this site as I was looking for help with my teen. I've got a 18yr old son & 15yr old daughter.
Frequent scribe
Worriedmun

Hi pinkbeats48. Welcome.
Active scribe
Malena

Hello, 

I could write a book on this one. I have four wonderful children ages 10, 18 twins & 21. All of them are precious little gifts to me! I could not be more proud of my little crew and would tell the world if I could. Smiley Happy. Getting together with my family at the end of the day, having laugh, watching shows together. Walking the doggo always help!

I am looking for ideas how to support my adult son going through some life changes.

Having teenagers can be challenging. I follow my instinct and I am their friend but also their parent.

Not jumping out of bed at 5am to get ready for work!

Scribe
SLC-2023

1. my kids are 14 & 16 years

2. Really struggling to keep the stress levels down atm

3. i need some help

4. im not sure i should be giving advise

5. theres no argument about going to school 

Scribe
bradjm

Hi

My name is brad

Have a 15yo daughter who was evicted by her mother after a physical altercation

It's tough, I try to talk and listen to her but to be quite honest her head is in the clouds.

Anyway I have signed up to read through the forum
Active scribe
MimiCoco

Hello all,

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?

I have a six-year old, who makes me laugh every day with his joyful personality. His dance of joy made me laugh this morning.

2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?

I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job at this, but I try to have time to myself (listening to audiobooks, surfing the net, speaking to friends etc.) when I'm feeling particularly fraught or burnt out.

3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?

I'm struggling with a child who has ADHD. I finding parenting hard and it feels lonely, even through I have a partner who shoulders a lot of the work. All my friends' children seem to be thriving, while we are just treading water. My child struggles with so many things; and it hurts to see him struggle. I'm worried about failing my neuro divergent child and I want to connect with people who truly understand what it's like to have a neuro divergent child.

4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?

I have no experience of this!

5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Not having the get-ready-for-school chaos; they just feel a lot more mellow.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Mod
Hannah_RO

Hi @MimiCoco , I have just responded to the thread you recently made, but wanted to respond here to welcome you to the community and thank you for sharing your responses to these questions with us. 

It's lovely to hear that you try to take some time out for yourself to cope with the stress of parenting. Those sound like some great ways to relax and take your mind of things when you get the opportunity.

I hope these forums bring you the opportunity to connect with parents who also know what its like to have a child who is neurodivergent. 

Scribe
Velouria72

Hi all!

Am new here Smiley Happy I have 3 kids, my eldest is 25 and lives overseas (loves it). I also have a 15 year old son and 16 year old daughter.

My kids make me laugh by showing me funny tiktok videos.

Stress levels down - by just taking one day at a time

I'm here because I like the idea of supporting each other. Both of my teenage kids experience mental health issues, school refusal

My top tip is keeping communication open

Best thing about weekends - a break from appointments with psychologists, school counsellors etc.

Hope to get to know you all!

Contributor
Bre-RO

Hi there @Velouria72 thank you for introducing yourself and your kids. Supporting each other is what we're all about here, so you've come to the right place! 

I look forward to seeing you open up and chat with others here - if you have any questions for us, please let us know Smiley Happy