Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Absolutely! I do apologise, I know it was out of context for our chat night here Smiley Embarassed

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

No not at all @taokat !! It's just to keep in line with the contact sharing guidelines. Your question was absolutely fine!!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Ok, we're starting.

I'm going to ask @dom-batyr the first question from a parent who couldn't make it.

1. What kind of signs should I be on the lookout for? What sort of things are clues that my teenager has a mental health difficulty?
Prolific scribe
taziness

Helloo

Happy to be here Smiley Wink Just did an interview with Rural Mental Health team at UTAS today on the experiences of young people accessing services. It felt so good to share some of the hurdles we encountered knowing it was actually being 'herd' as a parent! Smiley Wink

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Special Guest
dom-batyr

Thanks @Ngaio-RO

In terms of 'Looking Out' we tend to talk about changes in behaviour. For example if your child is generally quite outgoing / extroverted and then for a period of time (say at least 2 weeks) they're withdrawing, isolating themselves and not engaging in their normal behaviour (Footy, Netball, family dinners) then this can usually be a good indication that something is up.

Another big one to look out for is sleeping patterns. If your child is over sleeping, spending a lot of time in bed and overly lethargic then that could also be a good cue.

Does this help as a start?

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Sounds awesome!

Glad you felt like you were being 'herd' Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Scribe
dougs

Hi @dom-batyr - oversleeping and lethargic could describe normal teenage behaviour on a good day so I can see the dilemma in spotting a "real" issue. Any other signs to be aware of? thanks

Prolific scribe
taziness

What is the context for tonight by the way? I understand that a forum was just held? (Just got the email brief this evening!)

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's a great tip @dom-batyr  And something I hear parents talk about a bit.

Does that apply to the other way around? As in, if they start sleeping much less?

@taziness and @taokat What have your experiences been with sleep patterns?

Super star contributor
taokat

A very good start @dom-batyr. It was the sudden change in my daughter's behaviour that told me there was something wrong. She was always happy, social, outgoing and loved school, then became the opposite!