Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

I agree @dom-batyr with your answer to @taziness ' question. Connection with the service provider is paramount. I've worked in services where I've been very disappointed to see workers treat their young clients very poorly. I remember one that wouldn't talk to late clients he'd just sit there silently until they left and rescheduled. My response was "anytime you need to work on those expectations, I'm happy to help". What a douche.

@taokat that's awesome news with the job. She sounds like she's in a really good place at the moment, is that right? Does it feel like that to you? Or am I just imagining it?

Prolific scribe
taziness

I'd be interested in your suggestions about those other options Smiley Wink

That was definitely one of our greatest challenges, being located in Tasmania Smiley Wink It took some great resourcefulness to find them, but we did though it always depends on funding to ensure that they can continue to operate and offer their services! Smiley Happy

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Prolific scribe
taziness

What's the ASM technique @taokat?

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Special Guest
dom-batyr

$$$ being an access to services can be a huge barrier. It's great that we have the Mental Health Treatment Plan in Aus, but most parents need additional support for their teenagers that exceed what is provided here.

I think this is where services like Headspace, Lifeline, Kids Help Line become exceptionally important.

Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Completely agree @dom-batyr they are great services that have funding that keeps them (mostly) open in many places. 

And hats off to you and your daughter for your incredible resourcefulness @taziness I know how many services in Tassie get closed so you did amazingly well finding what you could.

Super star contributor
taokat

@Ngaio-RO getting this job has seen a bit of her old self come back. She's excited, keen, motivated and has a smile on her dial. 

It is great, and we went out to lunch to celebrate. If I'm to be honest, I'm really nervous about it - will she be able to cope, how will she react if she makes a mistake, what if she has a bbreakdown at work. I would love to say I'm at peace, and hopefully she will be fine and my concerns will be unwarranted!

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Message contains a hyperlink
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Ok @dom-batyr I wanted to ask this because I've heard it from parents but I've also heard it from young people in relation to themselves and I think it's an important one to tackle.

My son has told me he gets anxiety a lot. He says he smokes pot to feel calm and cope. Should I just let him, if it’s helping? I don’t want to make things worse.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

It's very hard to stay in the moment, isn't it @taokat I'm very similar. It's just so hard not to be concerned.

But, if she knows she can stop when she needs, would that make the difference?

And then could you manage the fear with your mindfulness stuff?

Super star contributor
taokat

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It's a light massage type technique that evokes relaxation and positive feelings. It really works for my girl, and was a technique she found, researched and trialed on her own.