Need help now?

i have a teenager with mental health issues and suidual thoughts

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
sneats44

i am looking to start with parents that may be experiencing the same issue to try a gain some extra help in supporting my daughter
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Re: i have a teenager with mental health issues and suidual thoughts

Heya @sneats44 welcome to ReachOut parents!

You've come to a great place to engage in peer support from other parents who are managing the needs of their kid's mental health. Well done on taking this first step Smiley Happy Did you want to tell us a little about what you are going through with your Daughter at the moment?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Welcome @sneats44 thank you so much for posting.

I'm so confident that @taokat and @motherbear and @LovingThruBlue will have some wisdom to share with you. And they are just 3 of the amazing parents here.

So glad you're here Sneats44. 

Prolific scribe
Lily17

I have 2 girls 14 who have had the same issues as you are experiencing. We got involved with Headspace 4 yrs ago and cannot praise them enough. They do an intake then choose an appropriate counsellor. They have all health professionals in the same building including GP to get a MH plan done or health checks. Regarding the suicidal ideations as long as the teen is talking she isn't being silent and that is healthy. Teens are like toddlers, they don't quite know how to express their needs.. ie they scream and we don't know why.. you aren't alone.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Couldn't agree more @Lily17 we find Headspace to be a great service for young people experiencing all range of difficulties. Most are free with a Medicare card and a small minority charge with a sliding scale.

@sneats44 If you click here this will take you to the Find a Centre page so you can see what's near you.

there's also e-Headspace if your daughter would prefer not to be face to face with someone. This can be a good starting point for people that find it too overwhelming to physically go to a service and sit in a room with someone, as all their services are online. Click here for that website.

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi @sneats44, it's great to have you here.

My daughter has mental health issues as well, and I understand how difficult it can be to know how to deal with. What are the issues you are having, so we can hopefully give you more specific advice? 

My thoughts on suicidal talk are similar to those already expressed. For me, I am less concerned when my daughter talks about her feeling suicidal, as I feel she is talking for a reason - she wants to share what is burdening her to help lift the pain she is feeling. When she is just raging and saying she wants to kill herself, I ask her if she really wants to die, or if she just wants to stop feeling the way she is. Each time it comes down to she just wants to stop her pain, but doesn't actually want to die. So I'd suggest encouraging the communication at those times and try not to be frightened by words such as suicide, death, etc. If your daughter can talk honestly, using the language she has, it will help her immensely to not feel like she should be ashamed or that it's a taboo subject. Just listen. Don't offer solutions or advice at that time. She needs to be heard and to feel like she is validated in what she is feeling. That will help her learn that she can get through these times - that you can get through them together. 

I hope that gives you something to work with for now Smiley Happy

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Thanks @taokat for sharing such amazing insights... It can be VERY scary to hear our loved ones taking of suicide or wanting today.

Being able to process it as "they are looking for a way to stop the pain" and way to express the depth of pain inside can be hard, but can help us have life saving conversations...

Hats off to you all
Highlighted
Scribe
AussieDad

I have a son also experiencing mental health issues and suicidal thoughts.

I'm dealing with it as best as I can.

What are you experiencing at the moment, @sneats44?