Need help now?

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Welcome Parents from the batyr forum!

Mine too @Ngaio-RO lol.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thanks for that @dom-batyr Great answer.

I have one last question that I hear a lot

If my teenager gets a mental health diagnosis should we tell the school? Will that make things better or worse?

I've also had parents ask me this but to do with work instead. As in whether a young person should reveal they need a day off because they're not coping or should they say they have a tummy bug? 

I know one of the big concerns is around what if they don't know and they trigger them or if they do know they can look after them better if something goes wrong.

Have you considered this as an option @taokat ?

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

Ahh, a question my daughter and I pondered yesterday after her job interview. Thank you for posting it @Ngaio-RO!

She didn't want anyone to know as she was worried it would go against her. I wondering whether she should, just so they have some understanding if she has a anxious day or any issues at work.

What are your thoughts on what is best @dom-batyr?

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Such a good question @Ngaio-RO

I think this all depends on the relationship with the school. I would love to think that sharing the fact that your child has a mental health diagnosis would only garner positive outcomes. In my opinion the more people looking out for and talking to a young person who's experiencing a mental health difficulty the better. 

Most, if not all of the schools batyr work with are prioritising mental health as much as they would physical health. It's nice to have conversations with schools centred around how they are doing all they can to create a positive, inclusive and safe school environment with regards to mental health.

Re work...shouldn't we all take 'dooner' days every now and then to recharge the balance and disconnect to reconnect with ourselves. 

Prolific scribe
taziness

Night all! Thanks for the conversation! Best way to get in touch @dom-batyr?

eyintas/Empowering Youth in Tasmania
Super star contributor
taokat

Goodnight @taziness Smiley Happy

Special Guest
dom-batyr

Message contains a hyperlink

Thanks so much for having me on here tonight and it's great to be part of such a positive and delightful community. If anyone did want to get in touch please ping batyr at hello@batyr.com.au.

I really appreciate being welcomed into RO Parents tonight and look forward to connecting again some time.

Smiley Happy

Super star contributor
taokat

Many thanks @dom-batyr and @Ngaio-RO for a fabulous chat. Hopefully we'll get to do this again! 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

And we're done!!

What an awesome discussion. Thank you so much @Batyr for all you do for young people!! I can't wait for the next one.

Here are some resources to finish on.

A quiz to work out what's going on for you and your family.

A quiz to work out what kinf=d of support would suit you best 

Free, phone-based coaching from a trained professional. It can be over in two sessions or go for lon...

And for your teenager - 

The Toolbox - a way of working out what online supports are the best for them

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thank you so much @dom-batyr for all your incredible insight. Can't wait for the next one.

Thanks so much @taokat and @taziness and @dougs for your amazing questions and sharing all the wisdom you have from your experiences.

And thanks to the parents who followed by reading.  We know you're there! And we hope you got something out of tonight. Cat Happy